Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
17 HP Kawasaki has no spark

Posted by John958 Ct. (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 10:46

I picked up a John Deere F525 mower that has a 17 HP Kawasaki. I discovered it had no spark, so I took off the flywheel cover and noticed a lot of rust on the magnet and flywheel. Wired brushed it clean, and took off the coil and cleaned it also. Put it all back together and got a very tiny blue spark about a 32" long, if that. checked it on a sparkplug, no spark. Thinking the coil was bad, I went to JD and purchased a new one. Installed it and same thing. I checked the coil gap, made sure It had a good ground. I noticed the magnet on the flywheel is held on with two screws. Could the magnet be weak causing this problem?
Please help, I've pulled apart motors and rebuilt them before. Also in the past I just had to clean the flywheel and they ran after. This one has me stumped.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 17 HP Kawasaki has no spark

Surface rust is meaningless.
However, a bad/rusty GROUND isn't.
I posted a link to the service manual below, so if you have an OHM meter, you can do some tests.

Here is a link that might be useful: Service manual

o
RE: 17 HP Kawasaki has no spark

Thanks Bill
I'll try the test on the coil and let you know.
Thanks for uploading manual !!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here