Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dogfoot_gw

Choosing a riding mower

dogfoot
9 years ago

Hi, new here and would welcome some ergonomics help in choosing a new riding mower. Boy have they changed in 8 yrs. What would be a good choice for someone 5'5", female, 60's? I like a foot pedal, accessible brake, start with a key, good seat position for my height, hyro, reverse mow, I am aiming for 42-48" cut for mowing only, but would like some control on sides of ditches too.

I just tried the replacement model for my old Craftsman and it was not built for my (average?) size.

Comments (10)

• rcbe
    9 years ago

For your height, you might find the zero turn mower control layouts a bit more accommodating (pedal reach, etc.)... but they can also be a bit tricky on hillsides/ditches.

But if you are simply having difficulties finding a machine that you can comfortably reach/manage it's controls, perhaps it's just a matter of visiting the various dealers in your area for a first hand touch and feel....

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

I will get stoned for this, but................

One of the best places to see a lot of different lawn tractors all in one place is your big box store, like Lowes. Once you have found one that you like then you can start looking at the prices.

Remember when comparing prices compare the exact models numbers on the tractor, the the generic model number that is advertised. While the John Deere's may appear to be more expensive I find them worth every dollar they cost and when compared model for model feature for feature they are comparabily priced. John Deere Tractors regardless of where they are purchased are serviced at the local John Deere store.

• leafeanator
    9 years ago

Just about all tractors have adjustable seats, be sure to have someone show you how to adjust it when you try it. Some have better range than others. Most mowers have a safety switch which prevents mowing in reverse, usually pulling a switch or lever can override temporally to mow while in reverse.

This post was edited by leafeanator on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 17:35

• dogfoot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The big problem on the Craftsman (48" hydrostatic 24hp turn tight) was that if I moved the seat forward to be able to press hard on the brake (left side) it put the hand-controls for speed (there is no pedal) sort of back by my hip (right side). I imagined that in a slide on a ditch bank or something I might need to work on both the brake and the speed together and not be able to do so.

I ordered that machine on-line, without actually sitting on one. Big mistake. One thing that I liked about Sears is that the delivery guys showed me everything I needed to know, then never complained about taking the mower back. Customer service called to offer more advice but never argued about cancelling my order and refunding my charges.

That was yesterday. Today I tried both a Deere D140 and X320. I fit the D140 well, particularly since the brake and speed controls are next to each other, not diagonally opposite. The X320 was similar and did appear to be a much sturdier machine.

Bottom line is I agree with those of you who say to make sure to sit in the exact model you are considering. The Craftsman model was so totally different than the one I was trying to 'replace' that the description could not tell the whole story. Now for a trip to the big box store to sit on a few more.

• larso1
    9 years ago

Hmm, mowing in reverse would suggest an older mower without all the new safety controls. My sister-in-law is in her 50's, is probably no more than 5ft 4in tall. She uses an older John Deere 318 to mow her lawn plus she mows the ditches in front of her house as well as her MIL's farm house across the road. Works great and is very capable. It is a garden tractor class and does the job without any problem. You might look at Craig's List in your area for something like that..... JD 318, 425, 445, 455. All great and proven tractors for mowing and heavier duty jobs.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    9 years ago

FYI, if the seat on the newer mowers is adjusted all the way forward or backward, the balance point to activate the "safety switch" is altered. Not a big deal, if you hit a bump or are mowing a "side hill" and slide downhill in the seat the engine will cut out. Comes right back, but just something to be aware of.

I agree with visiting different vendors and "seat test" them.

I have the opposite problem you do, over 200lbs, and 6' tall.

:-)

Good luck,

Ev

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

You are suppose to sit on the seat when mowing a slope?

I always thought you were to sit on the high side fender, ie like a sailboat. ;-)

• dogfoot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Back again to let you know that I ended up with a John Deere X300. I had decided to get the D140 but when you see it sitting next to the X300 and find out the X300 has a better warranty you can tell the differenc is worth it--if you have the extra money. I now think that the Craftsamn guys were just trying too hard to add new features rather than just sticking with a good product and tweaking it when possible. I love the X300. Fits me well, easy to move forward and back. I still need to learn a couple things about it, but so far am pleased. And knuttle, that sailing trick might work...if only the motor doesn't cut off.

• User
    9 years ago

FYI... any attachments you buy on the same invoice with your X300 are grandfathered (grand mothered?) into the longer warranty of the X300 instead of only the one year attachment warranty.

If you want and can afford extra attachments the time to do it is when you buy your X300

• dogfoot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good info, justalurker! However, it is too late for me. Not sure I will need any attachments, though. Everyone else should take note though.

Sponsored