Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kohler CH22 engine surging problem

Posted by John4901 none (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 11:19

I have a Kohler Command CH22 engine. On a small Vermeer chipper. Sat for 4 yrs. Water in gas. I have drained tank, new gas, new filter. Removed carb, had water contamination. Bought Kohler rebuild kit and rebuild seemed to go well. I am handy but no expert on rebuilding carbs. Soaked two main pieces overnight in lacquer thinner. Cleaned all little openings, etc. Installed kit. Reinstalled on engine.

Engine now starts immediately with choke. Throttle set at idle. No load on engine. Starts speed hunting from slow, almost dying, to medium fast. Adjustment of idle mixture doesn't do anything. Runs same with idle adjust completely closed. Gas is coming from a little tube in carb that projects from side of throat. Throttle stays against idle speed adjust screw.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kohler CH22 engine surging problem

Water damage is sometimes irreversible. As far as the body goes and and jets within, maybe a bath in an ultrasonic cleaner would help. You also want to know that no crud made its way from the tank to the carb and you should also check for the presents of a vacuum leak.I don't work on enough horizontals to know these by heart. Post back the spec # as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here