Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eibc_gw

Is it OK to use 1 year old gas for snow blower?

eibc
9 years ago

Happy New Year!

I have around one gal of gas I bough 1 year ago. Can I use it now for snow blower? If not, how can I dispose it?

It always stayed in a Briggs & Stratton gas can.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

Is it worth a clogged carb when you need the blower the most?

Dump it in your cars gas tank that's at least 1/2 full.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

That gallon of fuel has sat through enough warm weather to deteriorate it even if a stabilizer was used. New fuel. Stabilize it. Keep it sealed. If it is clean, it is fine to use up in the car as mister kapaun suggested.

• SJFlynn
    9 years ago

I wouldn't risk it for a few bucks worth of gas.

• rdaystrom
    9 years ago

2 stroke or 4 stroke it doesn't matter. One year old gas is too old.

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

It does matter if it is a 2 or 4 stroke engine. With a 2 stroke you put gasoline with 1 to 2 % oil into the engine. As the gasoline evaporates from areas like the carburetor, it leaves this oil deposited in the carburetor. This oil deposit builds up and clogs the jet and everything else. Some of the oil will evaporate if you heat the carbuerator to 150 C during the winter, but I don't keep my storage area that hot.

With a 4 cycle engine you put a pure gasoline mixture into the engine. There is minimal residuals on evaporation, so there is nothing to clog the jets.

There could be a problem with straight gasoline, and that would be if you have enough evaporation such that the solubility of the gasoline, alcohol and water is up set. In this case you would get a glob in the bottom of the tank, Since you do not leave your gasoline sit around in buckets, but in tightly closed cans, this is usually a small problem that is easily over come on fill up.

Oxidation could create some acids in the tank. This could be a problem if you leave the engine sit over the winter period with a half inch of gas in the tank, where the ratio between the surface area and the volume of gas is low. High surface area low volume of gas. If you keep the tank filled the ratio is high, small surface area to large volume of gas. The oxidation is dependent on this surface area to volume ratio. The more surface area to volume, larger volume of oxygen that will be allowed to react with the gasoline, the lower the surface area to volume less oxygen will be in contact with the gas.

The surface area also affect the rate of evaporation.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

A lot of thought went into your response knuttle. To continue along those lines, however a carb may be vented (whether internally or externally) it is likely that evaporation will occur. The lighter components of the fuel evaporate which allow for quicker and easier starts. Condensation can also be a factor. Hot summer temps combined with fluctuations in the temps and increased humidity make it easier to allow condensation to form in the supply can. None of these supply cans are really airtight. Storage conditions and environment are a big factor here. Another wild card could be that many 2 cycle oils also contain a stabilizer.

• eibc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How can I discard this 1 year old gas? After reading all replies, I decide not to reuse it.

I don't think it is a good idea to pour it to the lawn or in the trash bin.

Thanks for all you reply.

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

Answered in the first response.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

If you are concerned that it may be dirty or has water, usually the city/ county household hazardous waste people will take it. If it is clean, it can go in with the gas in a vehicle as Bill suggested.

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

"Accidentally" spill small portions on your concrete drive way until it is all gone.

Or else find a city/county disposal site that handles volatile organics.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County