Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nbowes147

Craftsman riding mower faster

Nbowes147
10 years ago

Hi I know this is probably not the site for this but, I'm trying to make my craftsman lawnmower faster. I want it to go 25-30. It has a kohler command 15.5hp ohv motor on it. I can't find the governor(s) on it anywhere so pictures would help a lot. It has a small pulley already on the transaxle. Any help would be nice

Comments (24)

• mownie
    10 years ago

Darwinism at its finest moment.

• wheely_boy
    10 years ago

I'd go on eBay and get a T800 jet engine and a parachute.

• javert
    10 years ago

I've been on this forum for fifteen years. I thought I'd heard it all....

• mla2ofus
    10 years ago

If he finds the governor, which will Darwin take first? The engine or the driver.
    Mike

• ccecilm
    10 years ago

Do not mess with the governor! You will proably end up with a conneting rod sticking through the engine block . . . that's what mine did many years ago.

• optsyeagle
    10 years ago

Sounds like someone wants to run out and get their grass cut during a TV commercial.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    10 years ago

HI Folks,

Reminder, "tis the season," so maybe a little christmas understanding should be offered. After all, we were all young and dumb once. :-)

Ev

• ccecilm
    10 years ago

After all, we were all young and dumb once. :-)

That was me; "I'll make it go a little faster" - BOOM!

• mownie
    10 years ago

Darwinism eventually gets to the animal part of the equation.
    It may take a few machines out before taking the animal out, but it usually does eventually take out the animal.
    Unless the animal undergoes another form of the Darwin effect and develops a brain.
    I think the brain aspect is what kept me from succumbing to the other effect first. Now if I can just keep this simple brain going in the right direction :^)

• Nbowes147
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok I found the governor and it's a plate. I already set it for speed without blowing the engine. The reason I don't get atv is my neighborhood has a lot of cops. They don't care for a lawn tractor. I am a mechanic but I work on cars/trucks not so much small engines. The frame is sturdy for high speed. I am planning to put suspension on it. This is a cheap project for me an a friend. We always have dirt bike going fast and atvs so this is a change of pace

• Nbowes147
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok I found the governor and it's a plate. I already set it for speed without blowing the engine. The reason I don't get atv is my neighborhood has a lot of cops. They don't care for a lawn tractor. I am a mechanic but I work on cars/trucks not so much small engines. The frame is sturdy for high speed. I am planning to put suspension on it. This is a cheap project for me an a friend. We always have dirt bike going fast and atvs so this is a change of pace

• mla2ofus
    10 years ago

"IF" you get it fast enough I've an idea the cops will suddenly develop an interest in a lawn tractor,LOL!!
    Mike

• txtom50
    10 years ago

There's lots of stuff on YouTube about Honda's 130 mph lawn tractor.

• rustyj14
    10 years ago

Some years ago, i saw a small garden type tractor, in which the owner had installed an old Ford 60 H.P. engine! Very impressive sight to behold, but he couldn't get much traction, because it would only sit and spin the wheels and kick up much dust, and never do much racing.
    Yeah, go ahead with yer plans---you'll be picking yer back side out of the neighbors prize pansy patch, the first time ya slide yer foot off the clutch pedal!
    by: Rusty Jones

• Alex Kreh
    7 years ago

If you can find the governor I would suggest you not to take it out. the governor on a mower regulates the speed by lifting a arm to slow down the spinning of the fly wheel. if you take the governor off of the motor odds are the motor will over heat and cause more issues, or you would have to end up buying a new motor. you also could change the pulleys, find upgrades for the motor, or you could bore out the cylinder wall and put a bigger piston in. even enriching the fuel mixture on the carburetor will increase power.

The governor is the yellowish gear in the top left of the engine block.

• Travis Close
    6 years ago

Okay so if I can maybe move my governor not take it off do you think I can by chance???

• geezer88
    6 years ago

Simply bypass the governor by rigging a foot pedal directly to the carburetor throttle butterfly. Add a return spring. The advantage of this is that when you fly off the thing, it will return to idle.

Since the maximum governed rpm of the engine is around 3600, and you might get it to spin 7000, you will only get a doubling of ground speed. To really get going, you will need to change the ratios between engine and wheels. Bigger pulley on the engine, or smaller on the transmission.

Speaking of governors, I'm from Oregon, and ours is a nut.

On the topic of cops, there was an old farmer that got his license yanked, so he drove his tractor to work everyday until the suspension was over.

Suspension and steering wise, the gokarts we ran as kids were not any more sophisticated than the typical garden tractor. 20-30 isn't that fast. Get the toe right so it will track okay. Get as much slop out of the system as you can.

Have fun. There are too many nannies these days. That said, the survivors are either lucky, or think about and resolve potential problems before they get bit. I try to not depend on luck.

tom

• Chris Cook
    3 years ago

I'm doing the same thing. Imma start with trying to put a dirt bike carb on mine and possible a diff exhaust. I have a 9 hp luv bug so itz slow. I'm not stripping it cause I still want it cut tho. Just something fun to cruise around on.

• Chris Cook
    3 years ago

I'm doing the same thing. Imma start with trying to put a dirt bike carb on mine and possible a diff exhaust. I have a 9 hp luv bug so itz slow. I'm not stripping it cause I still want it cut tho. Just something fun to cruise around on.

• mike poorman
    3 years ago

in the state of Pennsylvania driving is a privilege not a right. when you loose your privilege to drive, you loose your privileges' to use public road with anything above 90cc.Lower than 90cc you can only cross street. In the DCNR book says no more than 100 yards. Was he using public roads? for how long? technically you could just keep "crossing the street" all the way to work. I heard a case in PA were guy was mowing lawn turning around in the street hit a cop car and got a dui because he was not on his property. Legally, you are aloud to drive as much as you want with a suspended license. The second you leave private property, and enter public road. You are breaking the law.

• mike poorman
    3 years ago

On that note. Case that i have right now, If any vehicle including dirt bike is ever "left abandoned" on said private property. Any tow truck company on the planet will remove it for free. If the owner wants it back they are the ones who have to produce the title to prove its theirs and pay tow truck company in order to get it back. If not within 6 months it becomes tow truck company property, and previous owner will receive fine for littering aka abandonment.

• krnuttle
    3 years ago

The use of public roads has a lot of twists. The biggest is if the vehicle "could" be consider a piece of farm or construction equipment. In some places a lawn tractor could be consider a piece of farm equipment. The last time I checked age was not a factor in legally driving farm or construction equipment. I have seen children as young as 10 or 12 years old driving tractors ploughing or pulling a grain trailer. While common sense should always rule,

Today political correctness may cause you a bigger problem than the law

• geezer88
    2 years ago

I grew up in a small town in the middle of farm and logging country. A guy I know got his driver license suspended for drunk driving, so he drove to work 12 miles and back on his tractor. At 15 mph, he had a long commute, but he kept his job. tom

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH