Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
varmint_304

Berco for JD X304?

varmint_304
16 years ago

This probably qualifies as one of those "just how nuts am I?" questions. Any advice, recommendations, warnings, superstitions, or tales from real life will be greatly appreciated... before they are forgotten the moment I walk into a showroom.

Once every three years my little corner of Massachusetts (yes, it is all MINE) sees enough snow to warrant a snowblower. So far, this has been one of those years. Despite my utter lack of a place to store such a device, I'm considering a 40" Bercomac to clear the driveway and area around the mailbox. I have never owned a snowblower of any sort, so I have a few concerns...

1. My X304 has the K58 unit driving the wheels. Sufficient?

2. Will the Berco toss plowed snow?

Something about the way my road curves has convinced the town plow crews that the spot to the left of my drive is the proper location for piling snow. I often find myself digging through a berm of semi-packed snow to allow access to the billbox. Assuming I knock the pile down to a reasonable height, can a compact blower handle this stuff?

3. I'm thinking rubber chains, filled tires, and that last slice of pizza will be enough to provide the necessary traction.

4. The driveway is roughly 100-120 ft long and 1.5 vehicles wide. (1 at the entrance. 2 at the garage.)

Purchasing a better tractor for the job is not an option. I bought the X304 for mowing and hauling a dump cart. I didn't think I'd would be plowing or blowing snow with it. If I'm under-equipped, I will simply continue to contribute to the college fund my landscaper has started for his kids.

Here is a link that might be useful: Berco 40

Comments (7)

• sergeant
    16 years ago

Your tractor will handle the that snow blower just fine and will handle the snow removal job you have for it. I would suggest weights and chains and eventually a Cab for all the snow in the face Just take it a slow when approching the snow pile. I use a 1970 cub cadet 106 with a single stage snow blower and it does a pretty good Job. My primarly snow removal tractors is a JDX485 with a 54inch Blade. I use the Cub to get ride of my snow berms from plowing. Good luck with your snow removal.

• bboshart
    16 years ago

I have a X304 with the JD 44" blower and it works great! No problem with the hard packed snow left at the end of drive by the road plow. My driveway is about the same size as yours (maybe a bit wider). I love the 4-wheel steering when snow blowing, maybe even more useful then when grass cutting. I only have chains, no weights. I may get weights some day but getting along quite well without them. I've heard the Berco throws snow even better than the JD blower so you should do great. Don't forget the JD winter grill cover, it seals off the hood and prevents snow/ice buildup in the engine area and the tractor warms up faster.

• canguy
    16 years ago

4wd and power steering would be too cool with a snowblower.

• varmint_304
    Original Author
    16 years ago

4WD or 4WS? The X304 has four wheel steering, but not four wheel drive. The 4WS actually makes using the tractor fairly entertaining. Get it moving... cut the wheel... it feels a little like my buddy's cobra mustang on a gravel road. Not quite sure how that will translate into improved snowblowing performance, but as long as I'm grinning, it doesn't really matter.

Bboshart - Thanks for the tip regarding the engine cover. I didn't know JD made such a thing. In fact, it took me a while to find anything via google even after reading your post. (Dang searches kept coming up with gas grill covers!) Eventually I found it at the link below. Just in case anyone else has the same search issues.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grille Cover

• yetty734
    16 years ago

grille cover ehh??? do i need one of these for my jd lt 150 air coooled???all i do is plow snow...never blow

srry to hi-jack but...im not so worried about this that i nneed to post another post

ccb

• bboshart
    16 years ago

If you are not having trouble with carburetor icing-up from snow blowing inside the hood, then you are fine. As per the link that varmit_304 provided:

Symptoms of carburetor icing:

*While blowing snow in freezing temperatures, the engine gradually loses power, emits black smoke from exhaust, misses, stalls, and/or fouls spark plugs
    *If tractor is left outside in freezing temperatures after blowing snow, choke may not move when trying to start engine
    *Engine will start after sitting outside in freezing temperatures, but runs poorly and lacks power; black smoke may be emitted through the exhaust

• varmint_304
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, my (limited) understanding is that a grille cover is recommended for blowing because the snow gets airborne and may be pulled under the hood by the engine's air intake. When plowing, the snow shouldn't become airborne. (Assuming you're not a wild driver.) If you haven't had problems, yet, I doubt you need the cover.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES