Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soder33

My search for brighter headlights on my LT

soder33
16 years ago

I use my LT with a snowblower on it, and these days it always is in the evening after dark and I was having a lot of problems seeing anything in front of me. So, I thought I would share my research into brighter headlights.

My LT came with (2) 1156 bulbs to serve as head lights. These are rated at 26.88 watt each. Normally these bulbs are used as back up lights in automobiles.

Next, I checked the output of my engine. It is rated at 6.5 Amps for lighting. This would be at full RPM. So if you use the formula (volts x Amps = watts), the maximum wattage would be 78 watts, which would mean 39 watts maximum per bulb.

Now the search began. The main thing was to be sure the base of the bulbs were the same and that there was room in the housing for the bulb. Also, you don't want to generate too much heat and melt the plastic lens. The base of these bulbs is a BA15S.

The best bulb I could find for my purposes was an 1195. This has the same base, but puts out 37 watts. They seem to be about twice as bright. I am watching the heat generated, but so far no problems.

Another bulb, that JC Whitney sells, claims the be 2 1/2 times as bright as a normal 1156 and would of fit my bulb socket, but is a 50 watt halogen. Too much wattage for my tractor, but it may work for you.

Here is a link to this bulb.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000211045/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000211045/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000211045

One other thing. The 1156 bulb has an average life of 1200 hours, where as the 1195 only lasts an average of 300 hours. Also the 1156 cost about 80 cents per bulb, where as the 1195 costs about $3.00 each.

You will have to check your own lights and amp output to see what would work out for you.

Here are a few more light bulbs to consider:

Bulbs with the same base and globe size/shape as 1156:

bulb......watts......amps......caddle power

17635 same bulb as 7506

Bulbs with same base and globe size/shape as 1195:

Bulb with same base as 1156, but with slimmer globe:

3497........27.......2.24..........45 (Krypton)

Differences in the listed watts and amperes is probably the result of the different voltages in which measurements were taken (nominally between 12.0 and 12.8 volts for these types of bulbs).

I hope this helps others trying to get some light out of their LT's.

Comments (10)

• tom_k_de
    16 years ago

How about removing the two 1156 bulbs ,and only use one of the brighter bulbs.get more light,and stay within the output of your alternator.Just a thought.Then there are LED's.tbk

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

Or just replace ONE bulb with a brighter one. pick your favorite side!

• tom_k_de
    16 years ago

If you leave one of the 1156 in place,it wmay just suck up current needed for the new single brighter bulb ,and just give a dimmer worthless glow.JMHPO tbk

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

Well Tom, as long as we stay within the output of the alternator, why would it? It might give a tractor with a marginal output alternator a bit more light, albeit on one side. That still might be useful for somebody that favors one side of their tractor for the task at hand, whether it be mowing or blowing.
    If it doesn't work, you're out the cost of 1 bulb.

• tom_k_de
    16 years ago

My TORO "Z" had no lights.I installed one automotive 55 watt halogen "drivingl/fog ight" on the front and I have wide and forward "floodlight" lighting.A single utilit lights for farm tractors work even better.,but I used what i had on hand.tbk

• rustyj14
    16 years ago

I have several old tractor hoods with the nice 4 inch headlights used on lawn tractor types. You could make a tin box, mount it on brackets, and use them to see much better. Check "my page", i'll send them,at no cost if you pay the postage/shipping. They have mountings that can be used. I'd not send the whole hood, just the lights, and only if they work! And the mounts. Packed well.
    RJ

• njdpo
    16 years ago

hi soder33 - there is a similar effort going on in the thread labeled "Let there be light ... on my rear engine sears".

Have you seen this web site ? they seem to have a bunch of LED replacements for what your attempting ...

http://superbrightleds.com/

I happen to have the same situation with my scotts 2048 and am wondering if their LED replacements would be better that the 1156's which are in it ... They seem to have VERY long life span and price seems reasonable.

Im kinda thinking about trying one of them out on my old sears also ...

Its a shame - but it seems like the electrical charging systems are an after thought on these types engines, seems light they could have made them a little more beefy than they did... oh well ... maybe I'm expecting too much...

Id be very interested to hear of your results - if you go the LED route.

• PRO
    Kevins Small Engine and Tractor Service
    10 years ago

I cannot think of a better replacement for the 1156 than the Halogen #796 bulb. It is rated at 35 watts @ 12.8 volts, 60 candlepower, same base (BA15s) and it burns whiter and brighter than an incandescent. For a mere 7 additional watts over the 1156 you get double the candle power as well as a whiter light. Napa carries the #796 bulbs and they are usually in stock. They cost about 8.00 dollars and have a very long life.

Kevin,
    Kevins Small Engine and Tractor Service

Here is a link that might be useful: You can also purchase them here

• User
    10 years ago

The 796 bulb is the cost effective solution and NAPA carries them. There is a 35w and a 50w version. The 50w bulb is too hot and melts reflectors.

But, bear in mind that most LT and GTs have lousy reflectors so the improvement won't be night and day.

• gewf631
    10 years ago

I had a similar issue with the snow thrower on my Cub, but for me it was partially a brightness issue (corrected by replacing the bulbs with LED's), and partially a placement issue - the snow thrower is almost as high as the headlights. Realizing that the issue is similar to snow plows, here's what I did...

I picked-up a couple auxiliary LED lights off eBay. I tried one about the size of a thumb, that had a single LED. It was OK, but I also tried one that's about 2.5" square, with 3 LED's, that throws a little wider beam. Using a couple simple "L" brackets, I mounted these using existing hood hinge screws. This placed the lights about 6" higher, and a few inches further from center, than the existing lights I wired-in a quick-connect to the original lights, so I could unplug those and plug these-in - just like a snow plow.

These pull a little more current than the stock bulbs, but I don't use it that often at night, and have the tractor on a battery tender when not in use, so I really don't worry about the extra draw.

I have about $15 in supplies, and maybe a hour's time in modifications. It maybe adds 5 minutes to the mower-to-snow change-over, but really helps on those darker winter nights.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012