Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgardnerslc

JD 425 AWS - Tire Chains Ok?

newgardnerslc
16 years ago

I have a JD 425AWS that I purchased to us with a snow plow and tire chains. Can I use tire chains on the AWS model 425? I have the rear of the tractor lifted and when I drape the chains over the tire to install them it does not appear that the chains will clear the rear wheel steering rod. Is this a problem? Thanks...

Comments (11)

• mownie
    16 years ago

I'm not specifically a John Deere mechanic, but if these METAL traction chains encounter any components while in use....there WILL BE some serious damage....to the chains, the component encountered, the tire, or all the preceding items. Did you purchase the snow blade and tire chains new to fit this tractor, or is your snow equipment a "hold over" from an earlier tractor you owned, or did you purchase them "used" with the promise they "will fit"? If you purchased them NEW to fit this tractor (and the chains don't fit) then I would say you have a good case to take up with the seller of said merchandise. If you bought used or held over from a different, earlier tractor......you might have to solve the issue differently. If these are "used" chains, you may need to remove a link or 2 from each "tread" link so that you can position the side chains higher on the sidewalls of the tires. Since I don't know exactly how the steering rod is interferring with the chains, I really can't go further with other suggestions. Can you possibly post some pictures of the problem area. This could be an issue that Deere did not anticipate and plan for or it might be you just have the wrong chains.

• jwheler22jd22
    16 years ago

you need the rear wheel spacers

• mownie
    16 years ago

I would say that jwheler22jd22 has named the solution. (unless someone says otherwise).

• engine_tech
    16 years ago

I'll second the rear spacer recommendation.

• grassmaster
    16 years ago

What's the owner's manual say?

• newgardnerslc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the help I did not know they made rear wheel spacers. I will definately need those. Does anyone know if the spacers will later interfere with my 54" mower deck?

Another question I have is - Can I prevent the 3pt hitch from moving up and down when I angle the snow plow? I wanted to use weights on the 3pt hitch for ballast but they keep dropping to the ground anytime I adjust the angle on the plow?

I have searched deere.com and the owner's manuals and I can not find any information on these items.

• jdfanatic
    16 years ago

newgardnerslc,

Use Deere P/N BM18021

Cheers

JDFANATIC

• jdfanatic
    16 years ago

newgardnerslc,

You can lock the mower height knob at the highest setting; also, there should be a diverter valve on your scv (where the hydraulic hoses attach). This will cut flow to the rear hitch.

Cheers

JDFANATIC

• johnsinva
    16 years ago

The diverter valve, whose part number I cannot locate right now, will cost you around $85, and it can be installed pretty easily. You may also limit the downward travel of the 3ph by adjusting its depth stop. This will save you the 85 bucks but you will have to accept the delay in angling the blade since the system will be sending fluid through the deck lift cylinder.

• chugger22
    16 years ago

I too have a 425 AWS that I want to put a snow plow on and found out the same thing about the wheel spacers.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with AG or Bar tires compared to chains?

If they work well I think I may just opt to buy a second set or wheels with a set of AG tires to use instead of chains. This would be an easy swap compared to chains which I hear can be hard to get on/off.

some people say that the AG tires are easier on turf for using all season long, but I don't know if this would hold true on a 425AWS since the back wheels will be turning too

• sergeant
    16 years ago

JD does not recommend AG tires for use on the AWS models. I use AG tires year round on my X485 and I used them on my prior 425 year round. The only time it scuffs the yard is if the yard is wet and I use a loader with the tractor sometimes and even with that on in normal conditions it hasn't torn up the yard.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio