Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krnuttle

Leaking oil?

krnuttle
10 years ago

I have a 15 hp Kohler engine on a John Deere LT-155.

As every year, last spring I drained the oil and replace all filters and spark plugs. Last summer, it seemed that I could never get the oil up to the mark on the dip stick. I always check the oil before I use the tractor. When ever I found the oil low I would add oil to the engine. I have never noticed any leaks under the tractor when in storage, nor have I seen any smoke when mowing.

Am I being paranoid is there somewhere else the oil is going.

Comments (5)

• tomplum
    10 years ago

Are you resting the dipstick on top or screwing it in to check the level? What is the most amount of oil that you recall having to add? It seems also from previous posts that you like to take care of your equipment. Have you ever pulled the shrouding and cleaned underneath? Good winter project you know ;)

• User
    10 years ago

Oops... wrong thread.

This post was edited by justalurker on Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 20:18

• krnuttle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Remove the shrouding? No But will do it next spring. I have looked at it and it never seemed dirty.

From the manual it says to put the dipstick on the oil fill tube and turn counter clockwise until it clicks. Take it out and check the level. It has never taken much oil. I have added oil several times through the summer, and the level is never been in theADD area just in the lower area of the section between ADD and FULLl.

• mownie
    10 years ago

Even perfectly good engines will consume a dab of oil.
    As engines age and accumulate run time hours, they tend to consume more oil.
    Modern oils are formulated with combustibility in mind, so that there is very low ash content in the exhaust stream and no gummy stuff like in the old days.
    You need to record how much oil you are adding and how much run time between adding oil so you can get a good idea of the rate of consumption.
    If your engine is consuming around 1/2 pint of oil (or less) in 10 hours or so of use, and the engine is a few years old, it is not excessive.
    Higher ambient temperatures and/or restricted cooling shroud or fins can cause oil consumption to worsen (probably where Tom was going with his suggestion to clean under the shroud).

• tomplum
    10 years ago

CV singles don't tend to be habitual head gasket candidates, but those that are tend to get that built up residue actually around the cylinder area. My only gripe about that engine is that the cooling tins are difficult to remove and service. Look inside of the breather tube for residue and report back if it seems oily. Any seepage noted that may not seem to be an actual leak? Also, no problem trying a straight SAE 30 for temps above 50 degrees if you want to give that a go.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022