Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hanajack

Briggs & Stratton I/C 11 HP: stator-alternator

hanajack
12 years ago

Subject alternator not putting out voltage. The output wires are connected properly. Is there hope for it, a fix, a check, before getting a new one?

Engine:

Model-253707

Type-0326 01

Code-89090610

Comments (6)

• walt2002
    12 years ago

Well it appears there are a variety of stators available for that engine and you don't describe it.

A lead coming from the stator will have a "fat" place in it. This is the diode for changing AC to DC. Use a test meter of a a test light to see if this has continuity in only one direction. IF none or in both directions, the diode is bad. A replacement can be picked up at Radio Shack I should have asked if the stator winding appeared burnt.

Anyway, stators from many B&S engines will interchange with that and should be readily available. Are the magnets in your flywheel OK?

Walt Conner

• bill_kapaun
    12 years ago

As Walt mentioned, there are multiple stators (4) that could be on your engine.

You may want to describe the COLOR of the wire(S) and COLOR of the connector.

IF you have 2 Yellow wires coming from the alternator that go into a Voltage Regulator (with a RED wire output) that can be checked with the ACV range on a voltmeter.
    Look for 28 VAC MINIMUM. (some require 40 VAC min and some 20)
    If you have the "other" type, describe wires & colors etc.

• hanajack
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks gentlemen - great replies.
    I will check out all suggested and colors.

• hanajack
    Original Author
    12 years ago

In the process of acting on the advice, checks and tips given in your replies, I disconnected the plug going into the stator's outlet and using a voltmeter on the tips revealed, got 19-20 DC volts. Good stator!
    I found that the positive wire from the stator and into the switch and out to go around the amp meter and back to the solenoid was defective. Rewired it, took the amp meter apart, and all is copacetic now.

In the area of probably too much information: This Craftsman rear-discharge 6-speed mower was purchased in 1985 for just under $2,500. Still runs great, use it all the time for finer mowing and would take the rear-discharge over any side discharge including my 3-blade, 61" deck diesel mower.

1985 Craftsman mower: 502-255750
    Engine: 253707-0181-01
    Stator #: 393474 [dual circuit]

• bill_kapaun
    12 years ago

Interesting that you got a motor made in 1989 on a mower sold in 1985????

• hanajack
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got those numbers from my original owner's manual - not from the machine. Also have the 1985 receipt from Sears. Don't know what else to say?

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer