Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rboone7760

mulching blade help.

rboone7760
9 years ago

I have an old IH 44 inch mowing deck. If i block the discharge opening and install mulching blades will i be able to mulch my grass. This may seem like a dumb question but I could be overlooking something.
If the modifications will work which mulching blades would you recommend.
Thanks for any response.

Comments (9)

• javert
    9 years ago

If Oregon Chain makes their Gator Mulching blades to fit your mower, get a set of those and do not block the discharge opening. Note that you will not need to block the discharge chute. I've used 'em for years and have never needed a so-called "mulching kit" to get the job done. Do a Google search for Gator Mulching Blades. I order mine from Agri Supply, but there are any number of dealers.

This post was edited by javert on Sat, Dec 27, 14 at 17:24

• dbrown2351
    9 years ago

If you don't block the discharge the grass will not stay in the mower long enough to really mulch it. Blocking the discharge causes a small tornado of grass and leaves being chopped up to small pieces.

• rboone7760
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the help. Since I have never mulched with this mower, how much difference will I see between blocking or not blocking the discharge? It will be easier to leave it open because I will have to fabricate a discharge blocker.
    Thanks again.

• javert
    9 years ago

Just my opinion, but I have found that the Gators do a great job of mulching without blocking the discharge chute. DBrown disagrees, so I will suggest that you buy a set of Gators and try them without blocking the discharge chute. If you're not happy with the job they do, then try blocking the chute.

If your IH blades are 15 1/8" long, 2 1/2" wide, and have a 3/4" center hole, then the Agri Supply stock number would be #43239. But you would need to confirm that before you order.

• rboone7760
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, sounds like a plan.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    9 years ago

Agree with javert, I've also been using mulching blades for years without discharge blocked. The difference is, the grass that comes out is cut smaller than regular blades. OK, maybe not into a fine "mulch" but much better than before.

I've also heard/read that "true" mulching decks have the underside shaped differently to aid the suction and mulching action. For my purposes, I use them on a "non mulching" deck and am satisfied with the result.

Good luck,

Ev

• rboone7760
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just as a followup, Oregon web sits says the discharge does not need to be closed on multi blade decks, only on single blade decks.
    I will order my mulching blades tomorrow. Thanks for all the advise.

• javert
    9 years ago

Hey, RBoone, after you test the Gators, would appreciate feedback on how well they work for you.

• rboone7760
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Follow up. I installed the Gator blades. since there is no grass to mow I found some leaves to try them on. When I engaged the deck something was hitting under the deck.
    I removed the deck and could see some hit marks on some of the blade ends.The old blades were 15 in and the new gator blades were 151/8 in. Should I remove some from the blade ends or let them wear in? The spindles do not have any play. The gator blades will be a better fit when they do not rub.

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus