Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davestexas

Ninja blade better?

davestexas
10 years ago

Hello

This past Summer I bought a Snapper RE100 to make the mowing job easier on my old legs. The machine came equipped with a straight cutting blade. I found that I can not use it to mulch either grass cuttings or dead leaves without having to use the deflector. I've always mulched grass/leaves with every walk mower I've used and never needed to use a deflector. Material was just cut/re-cut and deposited on the ground. Having to use the deflector with the Snapper makes the job so much harder/longer having to deal with material blown away. I'm wondering if the Snapper Ninja blade will do the job better so that I don't have to use the deflector?
I use the machine is at it's highest cut, highest RPM and fastest speed (when room permits).
Thought I'd ask here before I spent any money on a Ninja blade.
Thanks
Dave

Comments (14)

• twelvegauge
    10 years ago

Hurt the OP's feelings, so post removed.

This post was edited by twelvegauge on Wed, Dec 25, 13 at 21:38

• davestexas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not a helpful response. Don't need lecture on use of machines. Post was about Ninja blade.

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

I have a Snapper Ninja. Does a good job of mulching if grass is not too high. Will windrow high grass. Never used a straight blade on it. Standard side discharge.

• davestexas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks farmerdill for the help. What I'm hoping to accomplish is mulching grass and now dead leaves with the mulch-cover closed. My lawnmower has a mulching blade and I've never even taken the side-discharge chute off the shelf where I put it about 10yrs ago. I really expected this high-dollar Snapper rider to at least match my 10yr old 21" Yardman walk-behind lawnmower in mulching ability. Hopefully the Ninja blade will do the trick and I can keep the mulch cover closed.
    I appreciate your response, thanks.

• davestexas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've got a Gator blade on the way. From reviews I've read, it should do a better job on dead leaves. When grass starts growing again I may try a Ninja if the Gator doesn't do a good enough job. Thanks

• davestexas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rec'd Gator blade Monday and installed it yesterday. Big difference from the straight OEM blade. I did not sharpen the new Gator. I looked for some info on that subject, but what I found was a 50-50 split on yes or no about sharpening.
    I installed it as it came. The OE Snapper blade was definitely sharpened from the factory.
    From the few short passes I made, it does the job and I was able to lower the deck 2 notches and keep the mulch door closed. Keeping the mulch door closed is exactly what I wanted, especially for dead-leaves. Grass cutting won't be happening here for about 3mths tho.

• rcbe
    10 years ago

best blade sharpening I ever heard from design engineers/blade suppliers was to keep about a 1/32 "flat" at the sharpened edge - supposedly limits fracturing/chips... but, many also swear best to get a knife edge.
    Me, I'll stick with the former. Those people did a lot of testing to develop related specs for mfg such.

• davestexas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I meant to post this response I rec'd from the manufacturer:

"The Gator blade you purchased, and this may be hard to understand, IS sharpened at the factory although it may appear dull. Allow me to explain⦠Our blades are sharpened to what we refer to as a 30 - 30 grind. The angle of the grind is 30 degrees while the edge has a .030 radius on it. The reason it doesnâÂÂt appear sharp is that through our testing, we found that the typical âÂÂrazor sharpâ edge is quickly subject to nicks and dings almost immediately upon use. Also the razor edge has a tendency to âÂÂrollâ over as well. We found that the .030 radius provides an excellent cut, and stays sharper for a longer period of time"

• wheely_boy
    10 years ago

{{gwi:345045}}

• davestexas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wheely boy: cute photo. why post it?

• davestexas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mownie:

Help me understand: are you disputing the reply message received from the manufacturer of the Gator blade about sharpening a new Gator prior to installation? The Gator blade I installed is a rotary type blade. Your follow-up seems to be about a reel-mower blade?
    Thanks

• mownie
    10 years ago

To the point: I am not disputing anything about the reply message you received from manufacturer.
    If anything, my dissertation is a wholehearted agreement of the message you posted.
    Reel type mowers do not depend on high velocity to break off the grass stems as rotary mowers do.
    Reel type mowers cut by "shearing" the grass stems between 2 metal surfaces much the same way a scissors uses 2 metal surfaces to shear a sheet of paper. This type of cutting is also called "bypass shearing" wherein the 2 metal surfaces closely bypass each other (or actually touch slightly together).
    Are you absorbing the point I was trying to make about the high speed impact of the blade edge striking the grass stem and folding the grass over the blade edge profile?
    It is the velocity of the blade which makes all this possible in rotary mowers. Without sufficient speed to make the folding process happen almost instantly, very little "cutting" of the grass would take place.

• justalurker
    10 years ago

Every Gator style mulching blade I've ever seen looked like it needed to be sharpened. In other words, no razor edge as both Mownie and the manufacturer stated.

Every Gator style mulching blade I've used worked great as it came from the package.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts