Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
John Deere 345 Lawn Tractor Troubles

Posted by basket-case (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 19, 08 at 20:12

During last summer mowing the 8 acres, my 345 just didn't seems to run like it did new. It's a 1999 JD 345 with 560 hours. Every year I change the oil/filter, new spark plugs, gas filter., etc. It always started real fast and run smooth at idle. Now it is hard to start, and surges at idle speed, and seems to have less power at mid and upper speed ranges. I did a carburetor install kit last spring, but that didn't seem to help.

I've decided to make some repairs, like install new thermostat, radiator hoses, fuel lines, fuel pump, and a complete carburetor rebuild. Is there anything you members might suggest one needs to do here. Or I'm I going about this all wrong at this time?

Thanks,

Fred

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: John Deere 345 Lawn Tractor Troubles

Not familiar with this tractor and not knowing what engine is on unit, i can only suggest a complete carb rebuild or replacement. The fact that the engine hunts and surges is usually a carburetor fuel mixture problem. By the sounds of it, probably plugged in the idle circuit do to the fact that the surging is at idle and that the idle mixture effects high speed performance and that the starting enrichment from the carb usually comes from the low speed circuit and the transition circuit.
If it is too lean a condition partial choking of the carb may make it run smoother. If it does then thats it.
There are many factors that can cause poor performance and if you go thru and check the health of your compression and ignition components it wouldnt be time wasted.
Good Luck Jim

o

Rebuild kit is $70 and a new carb is $130 when I priced them a couple years ago.

o

Just grasping at straws here, but-
Maybe a valve adjustment if this has mechanical lifters. IF the lash has gotten too excessive, the engine wouldn't "breathe" properly.
They would have to be at the point of being excessively noisy though-

Check intake system for air leaks, including the carb throttle shaft. Air leaks lean out the mixture which can cause surging/loss of power.

o

Check compression.

o

Tractor will start and stay idle but when I engage the blade it runs for a minute then shuts off. Any suggestions on what the problem is?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here