Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Older Cub Cadet--HEAVY!

rustyj14
12 years ago

A fellow dropped off (well, he rolled off) a Model 126 Cub Cadet tractor, for me to make it run again. WOOF!

It looks like it has set outside for some time, as a lot of things are not moving well. The battery was stone dead. The oil is black as coal. The gas is stinky. The choke cable won't move. The throttle cable won't either. The choke and throttle cables aren't connected to their respective places. I CAN turn the engine by hand.

The battery is as small as one for a modern lawn tractor engine, but it gives up quickly. I had it on my garage type battery charger for 4 hours, but it only produces a "grunt" when i make the starter do its thing. I called the owner and told him it needs a new bigger more powerful battery. I'll have to wait and see what turns up. Meanwhile, i'll get everything working and connected properly. Wish me luck!

Rustyj

Comments (14)

• rcbe
    12 years ago

prolly some serious work on it ahead, Rusty... but worth it, IMHO.

here's a link to a service manual for that model....

Here is a link that might be useful: service manual

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

RCBE: I tried the link you sent me, but it sez it has been discontinued, or is not working, or a myriad of other excuses! I tried signing up, but i was told my sign-up info was wrong, or some such excuse. The web-site sez the program is cancelled. What gives? Didn't they have enough folks interested? I gave them my on-line name and all of the correct info-but i got tossed anyway--said i gave bogus info! From what i did see of it--it looked well designed and well run. I gave it up! Rusty Jones

• rcbe
    12 years ago

rusty - link should take you to a page where you can d/l the file... BUT, ya gotta first scroll down to lower part of page and enter "yellow" for a password... should let you d/l then..

• andyma_gw
    12 years ago

tell the customer it is toast , and then send it to me.

• windcatcher
    12 years ago

Rusty,

That Cub Cadet should have a Kohler 12 HP engine in it.

They did have a habit of the valves getting stuck when the engine wasn't used for long periods of time. They also would build up lots of carbon under the head causing interesting problems. They were made to run rich on gas - hence the carbon buildup.

Check the condition of the points. If they are pitted, replace them along with the condensor. Set the points at about .016 - .020 just for starters. You'll need a timing light to get them right from there. On that engine, I can't remember where the peep hole is for finding the timing mark.

I have a k301AQS in my 1200 Cub Cadet, and the timing hole is on the left side of the engine when you're sitting in the driver's seat. For some reason, I think with that particular earlier model, the timing hole will be on the right side of the engine when you're in the driver's seat.

The Kohler engines are very simple engines. And, though you might think 12 HP wasn't much, they were very strong engines - torque and otherwise.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, i just talked to a good friend who is a whiz on those older Cubs, having had several of them. He has a manual i can borrow, and sez he'll help me if i get stuck. He also knows where to get 2-day service on parts. So, i'll probably get back to it tomorrow afternoon, or the next day.
    I returned my leased oxy/acetylene tanks today, as they were empty, and i haven't needed them for a long time. It would have been $75 for another 5 years, which isn't much, considering. (plus filling cost)Got to talk to a counter guy whom i dealt with when i was working at the shops. He 'bout fell out of his car when he saw me! ;0)

• andyma_gw
    12 years ago

I have always wanted an IH Cub Cadet. You could do stuff with them. My Inty Cadet 80 is just a lawn mower.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I went out today to buy a license lamp for my pickemup, and to another place to buy a set of banjo strings. When i went in the auto parts store-the owner told me my new battery was ready to go into my tractor!?! WHUUUTTT??
    Now, i buy a lot of parts there, but i know i didn't order a new tractor battery. After much head scratchin and questions---they said a man had bought the battery, but brought it back and demanded a refund. Said it was stone dead! So they gave him another one, and saved the other one for me. nothing wrong with it--shop said it is my Christmas present. Nice guys! All charged up, too. the battery, that is:
    So, tomorrow, i'll dig a little deeper in the machinery. And, old Uncle Joe said he can come over to help a bit. He's the local CC tractor expert. Maybe we both can get some action out of the machine.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Uncle Joe visited today! We got it to run for a few minutes, but it needs lots of TLC. I bought an ignition switch, and several other small pieces at my parts supplier shop. The carb seems to work ok. Tomorrow is another day. Cold and wet here, and snow falling. I have a nice warm garage, so thats where i'll be, unless the WD has other idees! RJ

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, Uncle Joe came back yesterday, and we got to work on the tractor. After 3 hours, we finally decided it wasn't going to be fixable by us. The wires kept breaking off, the insulation was breaking too, and our patience was gone! Evidently, the owner thinks that because he can leave his truck or car setting out in all kinds of weather, uncovered or not in a garage, that his old tractor warrants the same treatment. I don't give up easily, but this one got my "back up"!

• krnuttle
    12 years ago

andyma

I don't know where you live but there is a small what I believe was called a Farmal Cub for sale here in western Johnson Co NC.

It is the one with the large wheels in the back and the wide smaller wheels in front.

• andyma_gw
    12 years ago

How much trouble to replace the wiring? Charge accordingly, because it is a slow process.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, the owner called and said to not do any more on the CC, that Uncle Joe had purchased it! Great news! We'll get rid of it asap, and the P.O. expressed interest in one of my Craftsman lawn tractors I have for sale. I'll have to arrange a way to get it delivered, after i get the C-man snow blower fixed and gone. Gear on starter is all worn off. Don't know why-everything was bolted on tightly. The carb bowl bolt had to have the teeny hole plumbed out, so i did that today. It started using the pull rope.

• Stephanie Woodward
    8 years ago

Hi I'm Stephanie. I don't know much about tractors or how to work on them but I'm always up to learn. My father has always Been a lover of cub cadets, and has 6 different kinds/models. He has always dreamed about having them all running and in good condition. He recently has been diagnosed with cancer and has had multiple surgeries and is in due time going to have to have chemo and radiation. He doesn't have the time or money to restore them or even get them running now. He has talked briefly about selling them all and how his dream has faded. I don't want that to happen. I am on a fixed income myself and want to try to help my father in any way. Tractors are the way. Most of them just need the ups, the points set and new condensers. I can do it but I just don't know what the points need set to so I don't do it wrong and burn them up. The condenser doesn't look too hard to accomplish. And I can remove the spark plug with ease. His model 1200 also needs the coils put back on which I'm afraid I don't know how to do either. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County