Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bogey123_gw

Installing rubber chains

bogey123
11 years ago

Had my dealer service my conquest and swap over from mowing to snow blowing. Dealer left the unit in the drive and while putting it in the garage one of the chains came loose and slipped partially off the wheel. I will call the dealer tomorrow but should I need to refit the chain where would I use as a jack point? Tranny? Assuming I can get the wheel in the air this should be an easy fix I just don't know how to elevate the conquest.

Comments (4)

• grass1950
    11 years ago

I always just used the rear hitch and put a jack stand under the axle I was putting the chain on to keep the tractor from tipping back and forth. Otherwise, I'd just jack it up using the frame between the wheels on the side I was working on. Rubber chains are a bigger pain than metal chains to space around the tire. Just be patient and take your time, it may take a couple attempts but it's not complicated.

• bogey123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had used regular chains 2 years ago (1st year I had the tractor mounted snow blower) and the regular chains did a job on my driveway marking it up. So I tried the rubber ones last year, but we had only 1 snow that needed to be cleared with the blower so I don't really know how they perform.

This weekend, I will try jacking up as you suggest, and putting them on evenly spaced out. With a jack stand under the axle there shouldn't be much stress on the jack point.

• grass1950
    11 years ago

They are much better than just a turf tire, but they are not as good as metal chains, In deeper snow 4-6", I'd say about 75% as effective at best, but they do save the driveway. The problem I had with them is that they angle and cut in pretty well (like an Af tire) in the forward direction, but when I went to reverse, they didn't flip back to angle in the other direction because of the snow wedged in them and I lost traction.
    The problem with spacing them as they wont slide over the tire like metal will.
    When jacking, as always, try to select a point where the jack wont slip off. Side frame might be safest. I used the hitch because I was too lazy (and old) to get down to line the jack with the side frame and I never liked to jack at the transaxle pumpkin because of the seam between the two halves on mine. Sometimes I got real lazy and just used the axle on the side I was putting the chains on and didn't use a stand as there was no room. If you go that route, keep your fingers and toes clear of pinch points when putting the chains on in case the jack slips. Like I said, it's not rocket surgery, it just takes time and some re-do's. Have fun and I hope they work well for you.

• bogey123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I jacked the tractor up from the hitch point and then used jack stands to stabilize. You were right it took some redo but not rocket science by any stretch.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County