Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcnaylor

Just noticed this forum had a gallery

rcnaylor
17 years ago

Yeah, I know, I'm kind of slow. But, thought tree folks might like a few pics of some of my trees this fall

Pin Oak

{{gwi:321741}}

Some type of red oak here when I moved in

{{gwi:321742}}

Some of my chinese Pistachios, not their best year

{{gwi:321743}}

Comments (12)

• radagast
    17 years ago

Is that really a pin oak, or is it a scarlet oak? I just wonder - I've never seen a pin oak that red before. Beautiful colors!

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I didn't plant it, but, I'm pretty sure its a Pin oak. BUT, that pic is basically backlit. The sun is shining through the leaves.

I'll dig up a more conventional pic I took of the tree the same day and post it for what it migh be worth.

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's a couple more of that tree . Some years it gest pretty bright. This year was about an 8 out of 10 for it.

{{gwi:321745}}

{{gwi:321747}}

• greenlarry
    17 years ago

Wow fantastic colours, thanks for finding the Gallery-we need more people in here!

• nanahanna
    17 years ago

I'm with greenlarry! Wow!

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well thanks guys. That is very kind of you. Here are some more pics of my CP's and W Hawhthorns from 3 falls ago. The color was addressed a little with editing on the CP's, but, the pics still were not as bright as the trees that year (I needed to be a better photographer). They were just neon that year. Less so since. But, I'm still waiting for another banner year. :)

{{gwi:62585}}

{{gwi:62587}}

{{gwi:62586}}

{{gwi:62584}}

• greenlarry
    17 years ago

wow cant believe those reds! The second pic there reminds me of a Sumach!

• bengz6westmd
    17 years ago

rcnaylor, I can't tell for sure, but that oak's leaves & especially branching (not sure about the acorns) do look more like Scarlet than Pin oak.

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the imput guys. I'll do a little more checking now that you mention it. It was here when I moved in and I tentatively ID'd it as a Pin Oak. But, I'll try to do a little more comparing now that you guys have suggested Scarlet oak.

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    17 years ago

For those inclined to help confirm the identity of my oak, here are a few more pics. On its overall form, note I have limbed up the lower brances in the last couple of years to keep them off the storage shed next to it. The larger acorn in on pic is a burr oak, for size comparison.

All the pics are clickable to a larger size.

{{gwi:321748}}

{{gwi:321749}}

{{gwi:321750}}

{{gwi:321752}}

{{gwi:321754}}

{{gwi:321754}}

{{gwi:321756}}

{{gwi:321758}}

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is the one I inteded

{{gwi:321759}}

• bengz6westmd
    17 years ago

Oak IDing can be hard. I notice the leaves look different on different branches, which make it harder.

Nice snowfall, btw.

The crown/branches don't look like Pin oak, but the bottom pic of the trunk bark does. But many young "red" oaks' trunks look similar at that age. Acorn doesn't look like Pin either -- too big and elongated. Also, I don't think it passes for N. Red oak -- leaves too deeply cut & acorns not big & fat enough. So what's reasonably left?

Shumard
    Texas Shumard (var. texana)
    Scarlet
    Nuttall
    Northern Pin
    Black
    Cherrybark
    Turkey (Q. laevis)

Between those I'd guess Shumard or Scarlet. Can't rule out various hybrid possibilities either.