Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Know or What?

Posted by CrystalGray804 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 12 at 12:33

Hello, I am new here and really confused. We just moved into this house and there is a tree I have no idea what it is but it seems to have Black Knot or something. The tree is also covered with vines. Can anyone give me an idea or suggestion. There are no other trees near it and no other tree around seems to have this issue. We want to cut it down if we need to or should. Thank you.

Image link: Black Know or What? (52 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Know or What?

Hello CrystalGray804,

the picture was kinda small when I clicked on it. I really prefer photobucket or the like for posting pics on this board. You also might get more response in the regular tree forum, not its gallery view.

Generically I go around every year or so and cut the vines off the black walnuts and other trees in the wild parts of my yard. My theory is I don't care to exert enough effort in the thicket to kill the vines which while terrible are natural, but I want to help the trees maintain dominance.

If a tree is in the middle of my yard where it can not fall on anything I have a pretty long leash with defects. If it can fall on your house get out the chainsaw.

o

This is the only tree affected and it is out in the middle of a small field type area. It is not near any structure it could fall on and seems to be fairly sturdy. One thing I noticed... the birds here love it. For this reason we are going to leave it alone. It was so full of wood peckers, 2 or 3 varieties and other small birds. As for the vines I am not concerned with those either unless they grow towards the house or any other structure.

o

Black knot is a disease that primarily effects prunus - plums, cherries, etc. Anywhere wild cherry trees grow, it's nearly impossible to find any without black knot infection. The trees can coexist with it for many, many years. There's nothing much that can be done about it in any case.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here