Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can this tree be saved? Trunk rot.

Posted by Niabi Idaho (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 0:13

I'm a new home owner and purchased this house whose landscape is a huge fixer upper. One part of me wants to save this tree, the other part says its a lost cause. The tree looked fine when we bought the property, but then the huge snow and rain storms hit and it has slowly started decaying on the trunk. I also found this rope under a root like the previous owner was trying to get the tree out of the ground. There is also a big huge hole underneath it and there are suckers, literally, everywhere.

I know for sure it needs a professional arborist, but if there is something I can do in the meantime then it would be great to know. Would you also have a rough estimate on how much it would cost to chop and ground it? Any idea what species it is?

Pictures (I would upload here but 61 KB is not a good photo...)

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6812/img0176dg.jpg
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/5149/img0177ge.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can this tree be saved? Trunk rot.

It's hard to know much from the information provided. The wound looks pretty serious, but we are left wondering about the rest. The description of the large hole underneath the tree is interesting, but we don't see it. We also have almost nothing on which to base any estimate of removal cost. Get a certified arborist out to look at this tree or give us LOTS more info (and maybe in the regular discussions forum so as to get more participation).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here