Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I tell if my Dogwood tree is dead?

Posted by mikeinctwh Connecticut (My Page) on
Wed, May 19, 10 at 14:23

I have a pink dogwood tree in my yard that seems to have gone dormant or died. This has always been a beautiful, robust looking dogwood. I can see where new growth and shoots have started but it is as if everything just stopped. There are no leaves on the tree and the buds have stopped growing. But if I break off a small branch it is green and you can see there is sap in the tree. Do dogwoods go through stages where they are dormant for a year? I would hate to cut this tree down to find out I made a mistake. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I tell if my Dogwood tree is dead?

I have the same issue? Did you ever get a response.

o

I have a 3 year old dogwood tree that's done the exact same thing. New shoots, yet no leaves and it's mid May. I'd love to know that's going on and if I should keep it or trash it.

o

"Do dogwoods go through stages where they are dormant for a year?"

no

There's not enough information presented here to know what happened. My recommendation (especially if no more information is known) is to contact your local ag extension office and maybe take a sample to them. They should be very familiar with your local conditions and local issues. They may be able to tell you what to look for, especially in regards to likely problems in your area. If they are able to view a sample of the tree, that might also be a big big clue.

The reason you haven't gotten more answers is that you posted your question in the picture gallery section (where most people don't even look) and didn't even add a picture!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here