Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texdex_gw

Why is my London Planetree dying?

TexDex
9 years ago

I live in East Texas, just outside of Tyler. I have a London Planetree in my front yard that is about 4-5 years old. We bought it from a local nursery as a container tree and planted it in its current location. Last year it lost leaves early and part of the top died and was pruned. This year it was late budding, as were most of the trees in my area due to long winter. When it budded, it initially looked good, but quickly began to experience leaf drop. It has started putting branches out from the bottom that appear to have healthy leaves on them so far, but the top makes small leaves that soon shrivel and die. The upper 3-5 feet appears to be dead.
The tree has been sprayed several times this season with Bayer tree care for possible anthracnose, even tho this tree is supposed to be resistant to anthracnose.
No major landscape changes have been done. The lawn was fertilized this year, but not heavily. My wife has Cannas planted under the tree. Last year it had bottle brush shrubs around it, but those died, presumably from the colder than normal winter, and were removed.
I have inspected the tree closely for lace bugs, but I don't see anything that looks like the pictures I find online. I did find one bug of some kind on it, as well as some spots that look like something insect related. Pics of those are in the link.
I took some pics yesterday, including close ups of the affected leaves, the bug, and a white patch I found on the trunk.
Pics are here in attached link.
I would really like to save this tree, and I hope someone can help!
I have contacted some nearby arborists, but they don't act very interested in coming out for one tree. :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Planetree pics

Comment (1)