Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bushrod_gw

Black Walnut Size

bushrod
17 years ago

Just a curious question - what is the largest black walnut you've seen? I'm talking about the nut size, not the tree size.

My wife tells me that I've got the "nut tree addiction" thing too bad. I was driving across town yesterday and spotted a black walnut growing in the corner of someone's yard with what appeared to be baseball size walnuts hanging from it. The old fellow that lived there was out working in his yard, so I pulled in the drive and made small-talk for a few minutes. I then commented that his walnut tree had caught my eye and was hoping he would allow me to pick a few up. He told me to take all that I wanted; he said he used to collect them but didn't fool with them anymore.

I came home with a sack full of the biggest walnuts I'd ever seen from a "wild" tree. My eyes had been correct from the road, these things were as big as baseballs (most were 9 to 9 1/2 inches in circumference). Even after they were hulled, most of the walnuts were 2 inches across.

Of course, the excitement I had fell on deaf ears with my wife. So again, I was wondering what are the largest black walnuts some of you may have seen?

Image link: