Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris07450

Japanese maple was 3/4 skirted 2 years ago. Can I still graft?

chris07450
9 years ago

I love this tree it is my jumbo banzai.
It is about 3" at the base and stands about 9'.
It is pruned to be very sparse.
A few years ago a landscaper skirted the base of it about three quarters of the way around. it is sent shield and there is bark about two thirds of the way around with some scarring. But there is still a dead spot
My question is can I still take material from one of the upper branches and graft in a repair if I cut back to the Old wound?
Could I just remove 3 inches of the trunk and graft it to itself?
When would I do this? I know this would've a good time of year to relocate the tree.
I would obviously have to support the thing and splint it.
I know it sounds crazy and kind of extreme but maybe even a plaster cast.

Comments (5)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, I doubt many will see your post in this obscure photo sub-forum. Also, I am a little uncertain about some wording in your post, but I think I understand the general idea.

Trees can often cover over their wounds if they are growing vigorously and are in good health. You mentioned that your tree has been "pruned to be very sparse". That sounds like you are making it much harder for the tree to successfully recover. Starving the tree of food by limiting it's foliage and forcing it to overcome pruning wounds would certainly present obstacles to the tree's recovery.

It is unlikely that removing a section of trunk would be the way to go. A bridge graft might help, but is probably not worth the trouble. Again, what you need to do is to increase the tree's vigor, and the best way to do that might be to leave it alone for a while! And, yes, the plaster cast is a crazy (bad) idea.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

sometimes brandon speaks in riddles .. lol ...

you posted this on the GALLERY side of the forum .. and rarely does anyone come here.. except him.. to tell you that you are in the wrong spot ..

i also dont understand your words... skirting is not a tree term ... and i surely dont understand .. if it happened years ago.. what difference it makes to taking new cutting ... it alive.. thats really all a cutting need be ...

the best suggestion.. is to post a pic on the DISCUSSION side of the forum.. which is very active... we can define the problem.. give you the proper terms... and set you on your way ...

ken

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

Don't let Ken trick you. Here's his picture. He may use ellipses in his posts, but he has question marks on his clothes.

This post was edited by brandon7 on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 13:42

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Loggers and 'tree trimmers' around here use the term skirting to describe removing the lower branches of a tree usually in an even manner. It works on a lot of trees, especially conifers, but a Japanese maple? I think not, even though I see a Dutch bob cut on them all the time.
    Here's how I treat most of my weeping Japanese maples. It comes out much more interesting to the eye.
    Mike
    {{gwi:324534}}

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Show us a picture, but from your description, I doubt it will work. Grafting is usually done on small diameter wood, finger size or smaller.
    What caused the dead spot? A wound from cutting or sun scald from when it was 'skirted'? Unknown?
    Mike