Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twj1978

Hole in Carrotwood Tree - To Buy or Not

TWJ1978
10 years ago

There is a large carrotwood tree that I really would like to buy. It is 12 ft tall and in a 24" box. I really like this particular specimen but there is a hole in the trunk that can be seen on the pic... probably from a broken branch(?). My question is should I try to find a different tree? What are the potential future problems with this particular specimen? Thanks.

Comments (8)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

I would not consider buying it. The hole is from a branch that has been ripped off. The damage goes way past the branch collar, so it may take a long time for the tree to cover over the wound and rot is likely. I can hardly believe a nursery (if that's where it's at) would even consider selling that tree. It says a lot about the nursery, and I doubt I'd even want to deal with a company (even for another tree) that would be willing to sell a tree in that condition.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

P.S.
    I will add to / change one thing, if the company is willing to sell the plant at a DEEP, DEEP discount, and you have a place to put it so that, if it fails after a few years, it doesn't matter, then you could always buy it as a toy / experiment. I just wouldn't put it in the front yard or near any buildings.

• arktrees
    10 years ago

To me the far bigger issue is ROOTBOUND FROM HELL!!!!

12 foot tree in a 24" wide box????????

Also is that a second wound next to the stake above the one wound you are focused on in your picture. Can't tell for sure.

Is the name of the place "I SAL BIGGG PLNTS CHEEP!" ?

Arktrees

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i would never buy a 12 foot transplant ...

there is no instant gratification in trees ...

find a 6 footer.. in a 2 foot box.. and pay 1/3 .. and increase your odds of success 75% .. presuming you are doing it yourself ...

smaller transplants... get re-established faster.. and usually;... in 5 years.. outgrow.. the larger instant gratification plant ..

ken

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

"To me the far bigger issue is ROOTBOUND FROM HELL!!!!"

I take your exclamation to mean that you think the tree is rootbound (rather than just a possibility). We have no information to suggest that the tree isn't freshly dug or that it is rootbound at all. Of course, if the tree is at "I SAL BIGGG PLNTS CHEEP!", that could indicate a strong potential for the tree being rootbound.

• arktrees
    10 years ago

brandon,
    True there is not certainty. If I gambled, I would bet on it though, just non rootbound containerized plants are the exception and not the rule. Plus the wound from the branch being torn away strongly suggests neglect.

Arktrees

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

I totally agree with that.

Now I wonder if the OP will come back and tell us where this poor thing was being offered.

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

I think I've been to "I SAL BIGGG PLNTS CHEEP!" before. It was a nursery in Ohio whose name I won't mention (not the big one near Mansfield that Ken likes - they're pretty good). Some of the worst looking plants I ever saw - 3" caliper B&B in 15" rootballs (if that), spruces that had been very obviously intentionally topped (I kid you not)...this was in the mid '90s, but still...

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County