Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdvaden_of_oregon

Redwood Grove of Titans Located

mdvaden_of_oregon
16 years ago

My hunt paid-off.

Found the Grove of Titans with the Screaming Titans, The Lost Monarch and others.

I was sure I could do it via some clues.

It was too dark to get photos. I may take some images of them this weekend when we hike in Jedediah Smith Redwoods, although we had planned to hike in another area.

And it takes some time to reach The Grove of Titans.

Earlier this week, I started a webpage for the grove, but am not sure what kind of images to post. Once I found the hidden grove in the notch valley, it made sense why there are so few images of the titans available.

People could take images while exploring, and recognize trunk locations from several hundred feet, which could accelerate their search. That's probably why the couple of photos available of The Lost Monarch, have so much cropped-out.

Although our adventure was shorter than Sillett's and Taylor's in 1998, I'm slowly explaining our hunt for it at:

http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

I'm including a description of some obstacles that Preston did not include in the book The Wild Trees.

There's a portion of The Wild Trees online.

Google this:

Orion Day of Discovery Redwoods

That should pop up a link for the explanation about the first discovery of the Titans there.

1/2 my clues came from that book.

Comments (14)

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

That was a dangerously difficult hunt - you must be young and healthy!
    I'd LOVE to see pictures of the grove - as many as you can get - but please don't post pictures taken along the way. It would be a disaster for too many people to know where they are!
    I've got the Preston book - it's fascinating!
    Thanks!
    Sherry

• radagast
    16 years ago

It is a sad testiment to our species that if the location of these titans was found, they would be destroyed. Same with the Methuselah Tre, and others. Ugh!

Well, glad you had a good trip and found them!

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Posted by Radagast:

"It is a sad testiment to our species that if the location of these titans was found, they would be destroyed. Same with the Methuselah Tre, and others. Ugh!

Well, glad you had a good trip and found them!"

That's exactly how I feel. But I have a feeling that the location will be published eventually.

Odds are, that of the handful of people who might enjoy the hunt, none will dislose the actual position if they even succeed. If anything, is makes the location, secret and hunt more interesting for everybody else anyway. Even to imagine if not actually attempt it.

I did offer one tip for the hunt, without adding any clues:

M. Secret Redwood Grove Location Found

That's the same link as written up above in the other post. So far, I have not added a single clue or extra image that Preston has not already added in The Wild Trees. Some clues I don't mind pointing out where they are in Preston's book. But I can't publish what I did with the clues. The bulk of the clues are within just a few chapters. And so far, only one tip for the hunt is offered on the page link, to spare a few people from getting battered up too badly if they decide to undertake the quest. Sillett and Taylor certainly did not go into that forest on any kind of trail. Its the USA Pacific coast's version of a jungle.

• conifers
    16 years ago

I'll be looking very forward to some photos. I feel like I'm reading history.

Thanks for the last 15 minutes.

Dax

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Hi Dax,

I suspect he's not going to post any so as to avoid giving away locations.

Just the same as with 'Methuselah', I was asked not to put out any photos of it (yes, I've got some!)

Resin

• conifers
    16 years ago

Oh man.... Just some diameter photos of the bases would be sufficient (if he hikes that way this weekend as noted in this first post).

Well, we'll see if anything else shows up then.

Great photos on the website. Thanks!

Dax

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pineresin is mostly right !!

I'm not planning to put up photos right now for most titans.

But I added 2 images to my the page linked just above in my previous reply.

What I chose, was a cropped image of the Del Norte Titan, because that Titan has already been published. And my image is cropped to show no more than what's already been made available.

So there are 2 shots to show diameter. Compare to my body size.

Del Norte Titan is basically the largest redwood, even though it's base does not flare the widest. But it's the most massive due to hardly any taper to it's upper trunk.

We quickly measured in todays constant rain, and we came up with 23.55 feet diameter. Del Norte Titan is listed at 23.6 feet diameter. So we measured pretty darn close.

• conifers
    16 years ago

Those are some "PHAT" photos! Thank you!!

So Resin, you found these Titans?

Dax

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

What astounding trees - thanks for sharing your web site!
    Sherry

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ready to re-visit the topic.

After several visits to the Grove of Titans, and taking a bunch of photos, I discovered that limited views, and photo-stitch vertical panoramas provide a decent means to share the trees without disclosing unpublished clues in surrounding scenery.

On the same page as earlier, I added several extra, and taller, images:

Grove of Titans Redwoods and Photos

A link there, to a Redwood Album #2, has larger sizes of the same images.

Of the 100 or so images I took, those are the few that can be shared. I'm standing in most of them for size comparison - the green vest blends in.

Last week, I started to migrate to Prairie Creek redwoods. No real rare tree hunt or anything. Just casual strolling and hiking. That park has some awesome redwood trees too.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Spring migration season? Are you going in the wrong direction?

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm headed in two directions. We expect to buy a house north in Portland next summer, so I'm headed farther south into the redwoods now, since I'm fairly close.

There is a ton of stuff in Prarie Creek redwoods I'd like to take photos of in my next couple of visits there.

• delnorte111
    13 years ago

Hey everyone, I recently found the Grove of the Titans and have created a website revealing the location, and with lots of pictures of the trees!

www.groveoftitans.com

Here is a link that might be useful: The Grove of the Titans

• obi_wan_kenobi
    13 years ago

QUOTE ... "Hey everyone, I recently found the Grove of the Titans and have created a website revealing the location, and with lots of pictures of the trees! END QUOTE

Aren't you that David dude that the tree workers were sending PM's to each other about the other day at a climbers forum? They were referring no so much to an abundance of pictures with your family, but a potential lapse of judgement.