Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iliketonguyen

Soil to use to raise bare root tree

Anthony Nguyen
9 years ago

So I have heavy clay soil plus limestone under me here in NW austin suburb (Cedar Park). I'm getting bareroot peach, plum, and apple trees in. With my heavy clay soil and limestone under it, I have pretty poor drainage. I read that it is a good idea to raise tree 6" to 12" to help with drainage issues.

So my plan is to dig a hole three times as wide as the root diameter, and probably 6 inches deep. Take the same amount of "extra dirt" mix them together so I have equal parts native soil and "extra dirt" mixed, and then plant my tree so that it will be 6" to 12" lifted. Ideally I'd go for a 12" raised but I've got too many trees to plant.

QUESTION: It is strongly suggested to use the native soil for backfilling the tree from almost everywhere I've read. I have a fully sodded yard in a typical suburbia back yard, not to big at all. I dont have anywhere to get extra native soil from my back yard to raise my planting site without digging a random holes somewhere else in my back yard which id rather not do since i have nice thick dormant bermuda all over my yard.

What "extra dirt" should I use to mix with my existing equal amount of dirt to raise my tree planting site 6" to 1 feet by ~3 feet in diameter. Miracle grow garden soil for trees? Top soil mixed with aged manure and compost? All compost?

Here is a link that might be useful: Link suggesting to do 6

Comments (6)

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

ng, do the hardware stores around there have bins with sand, topsoil, etc. available for purchase? If yes, I'd go with some of that topsoil-straight. It may and in fact probably will not match your stuff in your yard exactly, but should be a reasonably close approximation. You've got the right idea about what you're doing. I wouldn't get too hung up on this detail. Even with your high planting, it is the surrounding soil which the tree will have to eventually colonize-if it is to survive and thrive in your yard.

+oM

• scotjute Z8
    9 years ago

Am near Waco and have somewhat similar soil. If your soil has positive drainage, however slight, I would only raise your tree an inch or two above the surrounding soil. Just use top-soil that you buy at Lowes or Home Depot in bags and mulch on top of that.
    If you don't have positive drainage then consider raising trees to a lessor height, maybe 3-4" to alleviate all the backfill required.
    I do like to top-dress trees with a 1/2" to 1" layer of mulchey/compost.

• Anthony Nguyen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tips. When you all suggest using top soil, would you add the top soil to top of the churned up part (so then it would be layered) or mix it with the 6" of soil I will dig up to plant the tree.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

You're asking the right questions. Personally, I see little to worry about either way. The drainage anomalies we talk about constantly here are real things, but you'll be in the ballpark whichever way you go.

We try to do our best when planting, but occasionally, I think it helpful to remember, these species mostly don't exist on a knife-edge of suitable conditions, being able to handle a range of factors. Otherwise, our world wouldn't have been covered in green.

+oM

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

see link for a discussion about planting in clay ..

to be very clear ... there is NOTHING WRONG WITH CLAY ... i am sure.. if you look around you ... you will see all kinds of plants and trees... that were self planted that have thrived for a very long time ...

the most important thing with TRANSPLANTS .. is water management .... if you dig a hole.. in clay that does not drain fast enough ... you are digging a big pot.. that holds water ... roots need air.. as much as water .... to thrive ... and it should be apparent that if you rot the roots off.. you lose ...

do understand ... that 99% of clay is VERY GOOD stuff to grow in ... its all about giving a NEW TRANSPLANT ... allowing it time to put its own roots into that clay ... one way to look at it is ... i am sure you have seen ball and burlap plants being offered ... they HAVE TO GROW SUCH IN CLAY ... else they could not dig the ball and burlap it ....

so ... very simply ... by planting high ... you are allowing the TRANSPLANT to survive with both water and air to its roots... while it copes with.. and adjusts ITSELF ... to the clay ....

i would NOT dig a huge hole ... as the above should explain why ..... and you might be surprised how little root.. comes on your new mail order trees ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Ken is correct, and here in my state, clay-based soil regions all tend to have these things called "farms" on them.

+oM