Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toronado3800

Nyssa Sylvatica 'Sheri's Cloud'

Just found this one thumbing throuh a nursery catalog. It is a variegated black gum. The website I am providing the link to has the story of its discovery just last decade.

Anyone seen this tree in the fall? Does it have the same great fall color as regular nyssa? Any other info or experience with it?

Here is a link that might be useful: blog about discovery

Comments (23)

• greenlarry
    13 years ago

I dont really know Nyssa but I find the name gum confusing- I find myself looking for a Eucalyptus.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Reportedly, it has "dazzling scarlet and hot pink, bi-colored fall color" (Broken Arrow Nursery catalog) and "outstanding fall foliage coloration" (multiple sources), but that's all I've read about its fall performance.

The name "blackgum"/"black-gum"/"black gum" is the most commonly used common name for Nyssa sylvatica. Unless we can get the world to use only binomial nomenclature someone is always going to find something wrong with ANY common name. I think most everyone would recognize black gum as Nyssa sylvatica, though.

• krazyrabbit
    13 years ago

I just put a Nyssa Sylvatica 'Sheri's Cloud' on order today and it will ship in May from Ohio. Because the variegated variety is so new there has not been much documentation yet, but I hope that it is as outstanding in the garden as the standard blackgum. Can't wait to put it in my front yard as a specimen tree!

The picture that's posted by the ranger that discovered the variety is beautiful

Here is a link that might be useful: Sheri's Cloud next to the standard Nyssa Sylyatica

• echolane
    12 years ago

Everything I've read about this tree mentions the uniquely variegated leaves; there is no mention of growth habit or vigor. Can anyone comment on whether this is a typically growing Nyssa sylvantica? Or?

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

I think its too early to know. The one I have is more narrow and much less vigorous than the species and the species isn't what I'd consider a vigorous growing tree.

I just planted both this past April.

• watermanjeff
    12 years ago

Hello fellow tree enthusiasts! I'm the guy who found the tree (Nyssa Sylvatica 'Sheri's Cloud'). My graft is healthy but not growing all that vigorously either. I attribute that at least partly to weather conditions but there are lots of black gums on our property (not grafted) that are doing better. I am very anxious to find out if the tree is male or female but haven't heard from anyone that has seen one bloom yet. I've attached a link to a short essay describing the discovery and propagation of the cultivar.

Here is a link that might be useful: A brief story of the tree discovery.

• watermanjeff
    12 years ago

Whoops! Just realized I re-posted the link that Toronado3800 started the thread with...my bad. In response to the original question re: fall color, my specimen has very unique coloring which contrasts nicely with the "normal" black gum. Lighter hues with more pink and orange tones. It has also tended to scorch on the edges of the leaves a bit during the "dog days" of summer but I'm hoping that will lessen as the tree gets a deeper taproot and matures. Also, mine doesn't seem to want to "shoot up" and tends to make a lot of side shoots even as I trim them to encourage a leader. I'll post more pics soon.
    Jeff

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Here is a pic from early May. I'll post a pic of the fall color in the next 30 days. Likely stress but the plant is exhibiting a very bright red on some of the leaves.

{{gwi:325000}}

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jeff, good to meet you. If yours barely burns in full Arkansas sun during a terribly hot summer I bet Whaas is ok up north and probably I am in St Louis most years.

Whaas, i look forward to seeing how yours looks this fall.

• jqpublic
    12 years ago

I would love to see the fall color pics!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Ditto!

Whaas, quit watching the world series and post some pics! ! !

• greyandamy
    11 years ago

HI everyone, I'm soon to be getting one of these (appearing to be gorgeous) trees from Rarefinds. Question, do you need to "wind protect" yours? I was reading, as usual, the mixed info online about them. Some say yes (many), others say no, they just may grow smaller. Please let me know how yours are sited and how they are doing. Thanks so much!

Amy

• drrich2
    11 years ago

"Unless we can get the world to use only binomial nomenclature someone is always going to find something wrong with ANY common name."

Ironically, we don't want the world to do that. Scientific names are based in Latin because it's a dead language not in use by any populations in the world, therefore it's static.

Compare that to the use of the term 'ground hog' in the U.S., which could refer to a marmot or ground squirrel depending on where you're at and who you ask.

If the general public used scientific names, they'd not consistently use scientific precision.

Consider mismarked plants at nurseries & big box stores. They may give a scientific name, but that doesn't mean it's what the plant is.

The above is my opinion, anyway.

Richard.

• ilovemytrees
    11 years ago

Whaas, that tree is absolutely adorable! Thank you for posting the pic back when you did. This is the first time that I have seen it.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Amy, regular Nyssa seems to be a bit fussy about transplant so make sure you do everything by the book. Plant at the right time, check for moisture regular like.

I have no experience with this cultivar though.

• plantpainting
    4 years ago

Reviving this old thread to see if anyone can comment on the size and growth rate.

I have had one for a few years. It was in a large pot until one year ago. This year it shot up 3'!

• echolane
    4 years ago

I’d love to see photos of this unusual tree.

I’m also puzzled as to how the sex of a grafted tree is determined. Anyone know? If it derives from the graft then it should be no problem, it will be the sex of the donor plant. If it derives from the root stock, and if the root stock is grown from seed, then I suppose it would be difficult to determine until the plant floweres.

• AJ Princeton NJ z6b
    4 months ago

I’m curious to know if anyone of the people who posted can comment on the fall color of Sheri’s cloud Blackgum. Like the wildfire variety, is the fall color non-existent or too late?

• plantpainting
    3 months ago

I moved from the home where I had planted the Nyssa sylvatica 'Sheri's Cloud'. Have visited 3 times when back in town. These are the best picts I have (see link).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fDGApacjdnLAC3Td9

It can be hard to make out in some, since there are a lot of other variegated plants in the same area. I made comments on the pictures on where to look for this tree.

As to fall color, the best I recall is mainly whitish and maybe a little pink in the right conditions. In my experience variegated plants usually don't take on the same brilliant fall colors as the parent.

• AJ Princeton NJ z6b
    3 months ago

Thank you. The tree with its variegated leaves does look beautiful. It reminds me of Wolf Eyes variegated dogwood..

• plantpainting
    3 months ago

There are a lot of nice variegated dogwoods. I collected as many as I could find that had a visual impact. Here are the kousa varieties I had.

Cornus kousa 'Akatsuki' - White margin, pink flowers, sensitive/weak grower.

Cornus kousa 'Bonfire' - Subtle cream margin, not have as much visual impact.

Cornus kousa 'Kristin Lipka's Variegated Weeper' - White margin, smaller leaves, weeping.

Cornus kousa 'Lemon Ripple' - Yellow margin, similar to the more popular 'Summer Gold'

Cornus kousa 'Samaritan’/‘Samzam' - White margin, most extreme wavy edges in sun, similar to 'Wolf Eyes'

Cornus kousa 'Snowboy' - Very wide white margin making it stand out, slower grower because of that.

Cornus kousa 'Summer Fun' - White margin, robust growth, big impact.

Cornus kousa 'Summer Gold' - Yellow margin, good grower.

Cornus kousa 'Sunsplash' - Yellow margin, similar to the more popular 'Summer Gold'.

Cornus kousa 'Wolf Eyes' - White margin, good growth, first time I saw it was growing in some shade at Collectors Nursery in Washington, I understood why it was named 'Wolf Eyes'.

• AJ Princeton NJ z6b
    3 months ago

Wow ! I didn’t even realize there were so many variegated cultivars of Kousa alone. Do you have Cornus Alternifolia as well? The wedding cake tree? Which would you say is the best variegated Kousa in your collection..