Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djpb30

Can I save my Baobab tree?

djpb30
10 years ago

Hi there,

I have a (rather beloved) Baobab tree which I've grown from a seed.

Recently I moved it home to live with me - it was previously at work - and it seemed to be doing fine.

But then I think I really overwatered it. Also, the flat is cold unfortunately and it gets less sun than before, though still some.

The leaves are now falling off and the soil has stayed moist.

Is there anything I can do to stop it from dying? I read on the web the worst thing you can is overwater it during the winter months.

See picture attached.

Thanks for any advice,

Dominic

Comments (6)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Yes, it looks like it may have gotten too cold and wet. Dump it out and re-pot in fresher, drier soil. Maybe set up a grow light or other bulb and stick it under that, so it has a warmer, brighter situation - tree grows in full sun in the tropics, in climates that do not have a high annual precipitation.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

just to clarify bboys comment ...

you properly dampen.. moisten .. NOT saturate it.. some new media ... and then repot it ...

NEVER use dry media ...

now.. as to what kind of media .... trees do not like houseplant soil ... it holds too much water because it has too much peat ... and rarely dries in between waterings ... as trees prefer ....

since you have a tendency to over water... i might suggest a cactus mix ... which sheds water more efficiently.. as trees tend to like ...

it might be a bit tricky.. pre-wetting a cactus mix ... i would take a day or two to do it ....

sometimes its near impossible to properly wet .. a potting media.. once the plant is in it ...

you might also post this in the houseplant forum.. for a slew of other ideas.. especially in regard to potting media ... many tend top prefer something called Al's gritty mix ... which frankly could become quite expensive becasue most of the recipes end up with a truck load.. lol ..... since you will need so little ... hence my cactus suggestion ...

but reading some of the thousand discussions in regard to such.. will really bring you up to speed on potting media ... see link

all this said.. dont forget bboy stated more light... trees are full sun creatures.. so they struggle quickly indoors... without extra light ....

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: you wont need to read too many.. before you get the drift ....

• Elektron
    10 years ago

Baobabs are tricky trees to grow. I have attempted to grow them from seed numerous times, only to fail every time.

Re-pot it into a very sandy media such as a cactus mixture as Ken suggested. During the growing season, allow it to completely dry between waterings and do not water it at all while it is dormant. Also make sure it gets plenty of air circulation.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

>and do not water it at all while it is dormantYou are trying to bring it back from possible near death, so letting it sit for a time in unwatered medium may in fact be exactly what you want to do.

If it isn't a goner already.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

I have a book about trees that shows them in Africa. People tap the tree and get water from it. So it is beyond drought resistant. It has a swollen belly of stored water in it's trunk. I know your's won't get like that indoors in a pot, but I would either change your potting media (as mentioned) or water very sporadically. Unless you have poor draining media, maybe just wait til what you have is dry. It may be lazy, but may be fine until you need to up the size of your pot.

• Mobaus
    10 years ago

Keep in well ventilated area during the day with sun exposure if possible, ensure your pot has enough holes (well drained), do not water for at least 3 weeks until the excess water evaporates, during the day better keep outside to allow it to dry (you do not want more water to get to it), at night bring indoors. If you are really keen to save, get yourself a moisture meter to ensure soil is improving each day, if not I would recommend doing what has already been recommended, re-pot, but re-poting is like a serious surgery for some plants. I have re-poted my boabs several times, no problems, always keeping original soil and re-potting to a bigger pot with fresh potting mix, some water after re-potting on the outter new potting mix is ok, so it starts mixing with the original soil you have. Do not use saucer, it retains water. Well if you tried everything and unfortunately your boab doesnt survive, you can always get an adansonia gregorii model from iamboab.com.au

Here is a link that might be useful: I AM BOAB