Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allen456

Recent cold snap.

allen456
10 years ago

Can anyone offer up some of the benefits the recent cold snap offered for trees?

Comments (14)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

many of us.. will have opportunities to plant things in spaces now left vacant by foo foo stock.. that has no sense of humor ...

ken

• ginkgonut
    10 years ago

Should be a setback for Emerald Ash Borer in some areas. From a recent news article below:

34% of EAB larvae die when the temperature hits 10 below zero.

79% of the larvae die at 20 below zero.

98% perish when the temp is 30 below zero.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Bugs get killed.

Some marginally hardy invasives get a set back.

I like trying to find the silver lining!

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

ginkgo, I was reading that too. I'm expecting at least 50-60% of the EAB larvae to die in my county. The only reason they spread this far north is due to the lack of cold over the past decade. The ash rival the sugar maples in the forests around here...I can't fathom their demise.

Japanese Beetle will be set back quite a bit as well depending on snow cover.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

Following is a summary of a related piece done by NPR yesterday; it includes a link to the broadcast audio.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Upside Of The Bitter Cold: It Kills Bugs That Kill Trees

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

This "it kills bugs" is simplistic (and NPR cannot be trusted for anything). It can also kill the bugs that prey on the pests and I'm not sure I've noticed any change in tree-pest-levels after a very cold winter. I do notice honeybees can suffer after hard winters, tho.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i was hoping for vermin reduction more than bugs...

moles.. voles... field mice.. etc ...

i think i have had some birds of prey eying up the rabbits also ... but i dont know if they continued south.. but even if they did.. that means they will have to come back this way in spring ... no .. i doubt many of them stayed up north this winter ... the ones with migratory instinct i mean ...

and as conifers are trees... i now have a reason to get rid of a few more emerald green arbs [smargard] .... due to splaying of multiple leaders ... not really a cold issue.. but a winter issue ...

ken

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

beng, the honey bee is WI's state insect and tolerates our -20 winters. Unless you have a different strain not sure why they'd be affected by the cold in your area. However since they have been on decline the size of colonies has been effecting their winter hardiness.

As for the exotics there are many studies regarding the decline of exotic insects with regards to cold hardiness. Don't have to just go off teh NPR.

Granted your area doesn't get cold enough to affect most exotic insects.

• famartin
    10 years ago

Amusingly, honey bee is an exotic insect.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Yes technically they where brought over to NA 400 years ago. Sure you caught my drift though?

Edit: Is it more accurate to call an insect like EAB an invasive exotic insect?

This post was edited by whaas on Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 9:57

• poaky1
    10 years ago

My Live oak "late drop" were put to the test of -10F, true zone 6 temps and have most of their evergreen leaves still, while some are tan on the ends. More than half their leaves are still green And on the trees as of today Jan 14, 2014. I am hoping they continue to do this good. The teens and 20's coming up should make them yawn.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

We are getting below zero single digits and teens, the worst cold in about 30 years, my Live oaks are rough looking but holding leaves, so far. My other plants should be okay.

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Sounds like the true test for the live oaks is eminent! Good luck, Poaky

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

I think the duration of the cold might prove worse than minimum temps.