Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

somewhere over the rainbow .... fall color spectacular

bottom left flowering cherry, kwanzan? .. oak, which i dont know ... then another ... its simply too cold to go out there and ID ... whitespire birch ... and another yellow oak behind the de Groots [might be a rubra] ......
{{gwi:325216}}

left margin.. weeping cherry i bought in a plastic bag ... tulip poplar .. probably a red oak .. tulip poplar ... shingle oak .. kwanzan [???] cherry again .... another tulip behind it.. and maybe that is a black oak .. that i couldnt name above ...

{{gwi:325217}}

the big oak was here when i bought the house.. i never ID'd it ...
{{gwi:325218}}

from the left.. tulip.. shingle oak ... kwanzan in front ... black??? .. red oak ... birch ... and a mysterious redbud that apparently refused to color ....
{{gwi:325220}}

Here is a link that might be useful: theres no place like home ....

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 12:30

Comments (15)

• arktrees
    11 years ago

EXCELLENT Ken,
    Glad to see that you managed to get some color this year. Looks like much of it ended up at near peak color at the same time. That can be very difficult for this part of the world. Thanks for sharing with us.

I have pictures, that I have not yet posted, but not nearly so much as last year.

Arktrees

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

For the life of me I'm trying to figure out how the hell you have any live green grass after that drought.

Excellent pallet of fall colors. Could you shed some light on what mix of trees you have there? I know you have Scarlet Oak but thats about it.

• hungrymind
    11 years ago

Ken,I have enjoyed your pics for a long time,its about time I got on here and told you so!I love the contrast and depth! it would be so cool to take a walk and pick your brain,there is so much to learn!"HEY MAN NICE SHOT"
    Rob

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

That looks more like a painting than what you'd expect to find, in real life, around someone's home.

I do have a question though. Right now, your trees and shrubs look just about ideally spaced for their sizes. What are your plans as they continue to grow? I guess I'm wondering if you plan on letting the landscape eventually take on a more mature, natural look, or if you're going to thin things out and plant new things to replace older specimens to try to maintain something more like you have now.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thx hungry.. you know.. it takes a good 15 mins to put a post like this together.. and some of us get really frustrated when 2 peeps .. usually the same two peeps.. give us a shout out ... glad you have finally climbed on board ... and thx for the high five ...

will ... whaas ... first off.. its not grass .. unless you use the term loosely.. VERY LOOSELY.. lol ... its former horse pasture ... on my sand.. it browns out around 7/1 ... and greens back up in sept.. when the nights cool.. and dew starts back.. plus fall rain .... and half of it never browns.. lol.. that being the plantain.. yarrow.. dandelions ... etc ... but distance sure lends enchantment, doesnt it .. lol ...

i used to be a lawn warrior in suburbia.. learning to go zen on 5 acres regarding green 'lawn'.. it was a very hard idea ... like the first year when i went and bought 50# of fert ... and realized that did about 1/4 acre.. that was the end of that.. lol ...

in regard to tree ID's.. i think i will TRY editing the post.. to put names on top of the pix ... it would be so much easier that flipping up and down ... IF it works ...

and to think.. if it werent for the rainbow.. i probably would not have taken these pix .. PHOTO HINT ... the key to these pix.. is the dark clouds above.. with the sun peeking out of the storm from behind me.. God making the composition perfect .. for someone with a plain old camera ... simply a moment in time ...

ken

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

LOL, the rainbow was the first thing that jumped out at me....and THEN I noticed how gorgeous the landscape is!

I love it when nature gives us surprises, don't you? We had some 'thunder snow' not too long ago. I heard the loud cracks of thunder and went to a window to look at what I figured would be a a rain storm coming, but it was snowing like crazy.

Didn't you post a picture of a double rainbow at one time, Ken? That's something that we see only a few times a year, here.

Have any of you ever seen a 'sun dog'? That was a new one for me this fall. Robert came in from the west facing front yard and told me to hurry up and come look! The last time he said that, a tornado was bearing down on us. But there was the strangest phenomenon in the sky...I can't even really describe it properly so I'll attach a google page. These images are really what they look like and not done with fancy lenses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sun dogs

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Ah, some folks might appreciate the IDs at the header. But just a quick list would be helpful to understand what kind of diversity can create a nice mix.

I preomidinatly have rye and kentucky blue grass. Much of the rye died and the kentucky was a champ coming back. Didn't change the fact that i have patches of dead everywhere. And now that the snow melted my dog kills a spot of grass everytime she takes a leak on the frozen turf.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    11 years ago

I'm still kicking around so keep posting for my benefit. Lol

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Nice Kodak moment, Ken. Thanks for taking the time to share it. Pix #2 & #4 help with the perspective of your "How would you plan this out" post in the Conifer Forum.

tj

P.S. Indeed, there is no place like home, but in this case the song should be "Somewhere Under the Rainbow"

• j0nd03
    11 years ago

There should be more pics like these during the off season.

Like daily pics...

Ken, I know you have enough in your personal collection to feed us daily ;) Thanks for meeting your quota for the week!

John

• terrene
    11 years ago

Nice pics! What a nice vista to look at on a daily basis! My mind is imagining what the trees are going to look as they get larger, and they knit together like a colorful quilt.

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

Beautiful display. I very much enjoyed that.

R

• poaky1
    11 years ago

I could've swore you (Ken) mentioned having a Burr Oak in the past. Nice pics. I can't wait til spring, it's been snowing all day and around 18 F.

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

Beautiful, Ken!

Unfortunately, we really didn't have a very pretty fall this year. The woods around here are mostly maples, oaks, and beech; Usually we can count on good fall color. This year, though, all the maple leaves scorched during the summer, so they didn't get a very nice color. The oaks were somewhat pretty, and the hickories looked quite nice.

I've always admired a landscape with a mix of colors (including evergreens) - To me, it looks more well-thought and planned than, say, just a whole line of genetically identical red maples that all color up at the same time with the same color. Not saying red maples aren't good, but they have more impact in the landscape when they are mixed with other trees.

I like the birch! "Whitespire" is actually one of the ones that grow fairly well around here. I've got a species populifolia that I started from seed - I like the fall color they develop (from what I've seen so far).

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

in response.. since my last post

rhiz said: Didn't you post a picture of a double rainbow at one time, Ken? That's something that we see only a few times a year, here.

Have any of you ever seen a 'sun dog'?

===>>> the most amazing thing moving from metro detoit/livonia.. was what i call BIG SKY ... and no power lines... its simply amazing to a city boy ... yes.. we have double rainbows .. mostly because.. i figure.. i have big sky to look for them.. lol ...and i have seen devil dogs all the time... i even once saw a whole circle rainbow around the sun .. i figured atmospheric snow very high up ... cloudy enough to look at the sun.. but bright enough to make the 'bow ... no camera that day ...

all the trees are going to be limbed up ... to see the far hillside .. someday .. over the rainbow.. lol ..

thanks for all the kind remarks.. you guys are making me want to post more pix [tear in eye.. lol] ....

ken