Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianplant

Is it possible to grow oak from cuttings?

canadianplant
10 years ago

I know some trees species are hard to grow from cuttings. From what little google can tell me it seems oak are not amung the easiest.

Has anyone here ever tried or was successful at striking oak cuttings? The species I have in mind are burr, red and northern pin oak. Most of the trees I find are too young to support viable acorn

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

anything is possible.. i presume you mean probable ...

and i have never heard of rooting oak ...

if an oak is too young to give acorns... my first thought.. was it is probably young enough to transplant. ...

i have had great luck moving 3 to 5 footers ... do you have legal access ....???

give it a go.. what do you have to lose???

ken

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Most of them are trees that are aout 6-8 feet tall. They arent mature enough to really produce viable seed I would assume. They do have acorns but they are few and far between and small.

Most are boulevard trees, so I cant just go dig it up. I prefer to grow from seed or cutting anyways.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

why are you presuming the acorns are sterile.. have you tried some???? .. the float test.. or whatever???

yeah.. i guess the city and neighbors wont be appreciating you walking down the street with a dug up tree.. lol ...

have you considered ordering some acorns ???

ken

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Im always looking for a good source of seeds. They must ship to canada of course.

All of the acorns I have seen had some holes in them and were small, still attatched to the tree. As far as I know most oak acorns are bigger then a dime. I have not seen any acorns on the red oak or pin oak. I guess all I have seen are acorn on burr oak.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

There is always grafting if one of them oaks is unique enough to be worth the trouble.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

There is a Holm oak Q. Ilex and English oak Q. Robur cross named Turners oak that is usually reproduced by grafting or cuttings coaxed to root. It is supposed to be easier to reproduce that way than seed. Kew in the UK has a specimen of an adult. That's the only vegetively reproduced oak I know of.Psuedoturneri is the name of the rooted cutting.

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

I remember Dirr mentioning a nuttall or swamp white oak cultivar that is exclusively propagated by cuttings but I can't remember the name atm... when I find out, it might be worth a call/email to the people propagating the cultivar this way and ask for some tips.

I'll look it up when I get home.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

Yes a handful of species and cultivars are known to root by cutting, but for the vast majority it's been found impossible and they are grafted.
    Another one that roots by cutting is the Japanese Quercus phillyraeoides. It seems the evergreen ones are more likely to root that way. Not oaks but some of the related Lithocarpus can be rooted too.

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Apparently several Quercus texana cultivars exclusively grown from cuttings exist. Select Trees in Athens, Georgia has made several intros.

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 11:59