Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edlincoln

Tree with huge trunk ridges

edlincoln
9 years ago

What is the Zone 6, coastal New England tree that has trunk ridges that are like two or three inches deep, so that if you cut the tree down the cross section would probably look like a star?

It's deciduous with light gray bark.

This post was edited by edlincoln on Mon, Jan 12, 15 at 14:00

Comments (13)

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Not much to go by. Trees w/such ridges might be chestnut oak, black gum or persimmon, for example. I show a pic of chestnut oak trunks below:

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

hey ed ...

i would expect that you would mention if it was a conifer... though this time of year its tough to decide on deciduous ...

see link on Metasequoia glyptostroboides bark ..

the common dawn redwood ...

kenps: i bet its not the one you are talking about ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Like Ken sez above, might be dawn redwood:

• edlincoln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don't think it is a conifer, although I suppose it could be one of those funky deciduous conifers..

Bark ridges are WAY deeper then the first couple examples...literally, they are like two or three inches deep. The tree trunk is shaped like an " * " symbol, or like a star fruit.

Not the last tree because the bark was light gray and didn't have the "peeling" effect. The bark ridges were sharper. (Ironically, there was one of those nearby, so it likes the same conditions)

Tall, spindly tree with no branches near the bottom. There were a bunch so it is either a common tree in the area or suckers.

I wish I had a picture, but my camera ran out of electricity.

I googled the suggestions beng made and this image came closest. The ones I saw had fewer ridges and deeper ones, though. They were much smaller trees, though...so maybe the tree looks different when young?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2121107}}

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Maybe Black Locust, Robinia pseudoacacia?
    Mike

• edlincoln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anyone have pictures of Chestnut Oak, Black Locust or persimmon tree trunks that are six inches to a foot wide?

So far Chestnut Oak seems most likely.

This post was edited by edlincoln on Mon, Jan 12, 15 at 20:48

• salicaceae
    9 years ago

Quercus montana, Q. prinoides or there's an outside chance it could be a persimmon. Most certainly not Dawn redwood.

9 years ago

go back and get a pic ed

ken

• akamainegrower
    9 years ago

Given the location and light gray bark color, I would guess it's a beech. The tall, spindly part is not characteristic of the beeches, but if these are growing in a crowded and relatively low light area, it's certainly possible. Two beech characteristics that should be in evidence: smooth bark and dried light tan leaves still clinging to branches here and there. This last may not be true this late in the winter and/or if it's in a windy location.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

edlincoln, I've seen chestnut oaks w/far deeper furrows than the ones I show, but almost always on relatively old trees as it takes time to develop them. Could you have been looking at a musclewood (American hornbeam)?

A pic should clear it up.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

If a small tree, seems like American hornbeam (Carpinus caroliniana). Bark pic below on wiki:

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2121108}}

9 years ago

hackberry can also have some rather bizarre bark.. see link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Ken, here you go for hackberry: