Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yollies_gw

Prunus caroliniana 'Compacta' leaf spot

Yollies
9 years ago

Hi all. I've done some online research on my Cherry Laurel with spotted leaves and found it to most likely be fungal or bacterial infection. I couldn't find much on treatment or effectiveness of treatment.

The tree was planted August of last year and only started to show the spots this winter. I am new to gardening and initially thought it was just cold damage.

Is this tree doomed or can it be saved? Thanks in advance for ideas and advice.

Comments (7)

• Yollies
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another photo

• Yollies
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Found a photo that I took on the day of delivery of the tree. Could the visible holes on some of the leaves have been the start of this infection?

• allergyvictim
    9 years ago

I was shopping for Prunus Caroliniana for the hedge I am planning to plant, I visited almost 10 nurseries, all the Prunus C have the same disease, apparently it is common at this time of the year
    They told me it should go away with treatment, but I opted finally to go with the Ficus .

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

planted in august???? .. not the best time of year for planting???

how was it planted??? ... amendments into the hole???

it is suggested that many things attack stressed plants... IMHO .. planting in august is a giant stress ... as well as its first winter .... and many other stresses ...

confirm the diagnosis ... treat accordingly ... and water it properly for the next two years ... see link ...

it is stressed.. it is NOT hungry ... fert will solve nothing ... which makes me wonder if its near the lawn... and if the lawn was treated in fall .. for whatever ???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Yollies
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I checked my sales receipt and see it was for 09/30 of last year, so not quite August. And no, I did not amend the hole at all. I planted it raised and backfilled with soil dug up as recommended on this forum. It has been watered well at least once weekly since, except when we had plenty of rain. So, I've been trying to follow the advice for transplanted trees given to previous posters on this forum. And I most definitely did not fertilize it.

I can accept that the tree has been stressed by transplant, but it sure does look like 'shot hole' disease that is common among Prunus species. The description and images found on various sites fit what I'm seeing perfectly. And I should also have mentioned that a standard Carolina Cherry Laurel within a couple of yards to it, is showing the same spotting and holes. We do get lawn care from a company and they last did lime and weed killer on 11/07. Nothing's been done to the lawn since.

I've attached a photo of the other established Cherry Laurel's leaves.

• akamainegrower
    9 years ago

Shot hole disease is the bane of cherry laurels no matter how carefully they are planted and watered. The photos show it and quite possibly some other fungal infections. The standard advice for shot hole disease is copper based sprays applied early in the spring. The best thing you can do is ask your County Extension Sevice or state agriculture department for advice as to specific sprays and the timing of application.

• Yollies
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I'll contact the extension office next week.