Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Live oak roots lifting driveway slab

Posted by sophie424 TX (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 14, 09 at 12:16

I have a large (12-14" dia) live oak growing in the middle of my driveway. Over the past year or so its roots seem to be lifting up the slab on 2 sides of the tree, with one side already developing a crack.

What options do I have? I am required to keep an aggregate concrete driveway.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Live oak roots lifting driveway slab

I do not know any other solution than removing the tree or removing the driveway. Since tree roots suffer when they are smothered by a concrete driveway, I never understand why people would plant a tree in the middle of a concrete driveway.

Most trees react to root suffication issues, by keeping their increasing thickness roots and fine feeder roots as close to the surface as possible.

In addition to that, most any of the large potential growing oaks and lots of other tree species are known to eventually thicken and rise above ground level at the root flair for an at least 4 foot radius around their trunk's base.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here