Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

Will tree cuttings grow exactly like parent tree or different?

tlbean2004
9 years ago

Ok, i took some cuttings of a wild callery pear growing on the side of the highway. There are many of them.
The one i took cuttings from has a single trunk and the branches curve and then grow upwards. It forms a perfect shape. most of the other wild ones have multiple or dividing trunks.

Will these cuttings look just like the tree i got them from or can there be slight differences?

I choose this one because of the height, branching structure and perfect symetrical shape. All the branched dont come from the single trunk like the bradford, but they kind of divide the load. So maybe it wont break..... lol

I have seen some planted ones that were taller and had a thinner trunk so i think this seedling might not be as tall as some of the named cultivars.

But i just want to make sure what i get will look like the tree i want so that i dont waste my time growing something to only have a bad end result.

Please no snide comments....

{{gwi:2121141}}

Comments (20)

• alexander3_gw
    9 years ago

I don't know about pear trees specifically, but at least some trees grown from cuttings will have the same habit as their parent.

I'm thiinking specifically of American elm 'Valley Forge' . I planted two of these grown from cuttings. It seems to take the cutting some time to start acting like a tree rather than a branch. One of them figured it out after a coupe years. The other one did not. It continued to grow like a branch, sending off vigorous shoots to the side, and I was unable to get it to establish a leader that would grow up. I have a grafted persimmon that has the same issue. Other trees have no such problem.

I think such problems are the exception rather than the rule, so hopefully your chances are good!

Alex

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a pic, it seems to have not posted properly on the first post.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

as a general rule... trees wont root ...

i saw the other post earlier this morning.. and i am guessing in the fruit forum ... those peeps do all kinds of things to trees.. that we dont.. and i am glad... i dont need to refer you to those wizards ...

anything is possible... but the odds of rooting a tree.. are not probable .. IMHO

oh.. and to specifically answer the title... a cutting .. IS THE SAME TREE ... how could rooting a cutting.. change its genetic predispositions?????

at the link.. down a few links.. you can buy one.. for 5 bucks ... but i understand.. if you want to do this as a learning project ...

i have harangued you on this topic.. i did NOT intend to make any of this snide ... [in fact.. i deleted that part.. lol]

ken

ps: of course there are exceptions like willow and poplar that root.. but we arent talking about those weed trees .... and maybe elm is in this group ....????

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

But OP is talking about a characteristic which is often largely affected by happenstance: Did someone or did they not remove lower branches?Did someone, or did they not, back their car over it when it was young? Did rabbits mangle the thing when it was young, or did they not? These, and a million more just like them are actions which can affect growth form.

Perfectly harvested cuttings, handled with absolute consistency, will largely turn out pretty close to identical. But out in the world, this is almost never the case.

Now OP, this is not a snide comment, but a heart-felt and honest statement: Callery pear is one of our emerging invasive plant problems. Once you grasp what is happening because of such items, you'd quite likely not be interested in propagating them. Maybe you will never see this particular light, but that thing is making a mess of woodlands and wildlands all over the eastern US.

+oM

• User
    9 years ago

OP,
    your answer is yes.
    It will be a clone.
    Good Luck!

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so will the cuttings root or not?
    ken says that trees dont root?..........

i dont want to waste my time for nothing.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Since you have already planted your cuttings there will be no further time wasted if you just wait and see what happens. As long as they are kept just moist and warm there is nothing more for you to do.

• sam_md
    9 years ago

where's the poster with the "toothpick method" when we need him? xDDD

• salicaceae
    9 years ago

Trees can't be rooted??? What? YES, they can - and many very easily. Among the easily and commonly cutting-propagated trees: mulberries, many poplars, willows, Ficus, arborvitae, junipers, China fir, many cypresses, deodar cedar, Dawn redwood..need I add like 100 more??? Come on Ken, you should do a little reading or talk to anyone with even an amateur interest in horticulture or trees.

As for the OP's question...Crown architecture is largely under genetic control, so your clones will look very similar. Lombardy poplar or weeping willows are great examples of this. They look largely the same everywhere around the world. These are cutting propagated clones, not seedlings.

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    9 years ago

tlbean - yes you can root callery pear, but your timing is all wrong if you're trying to do it now. Take your cutting next summer after the new growth has firmed up a bit - mid june maybe depending on your location. Take 6-8 inch cuttings, dip the cut end in an IBA type rooting hormone, and stick them in coarse perlite or maybe a 50:50 mix of coarse sand and pine bark fines. Keep them covered and out of direct sunlight and mist them daily. Rooting usually occurs in 6 weeks or so. But be advised callery pear rooted cuttings sometimes do not develop good root masses. As noted previously, they may or may not look exactly as the parent depending on so many different influences.
    Good Luck - GO BUCKEYES!
    Marshall

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Can Pears be propagated by cuttings this time of year...or any time of year?
    Mike

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

:( a clone of a tree which has pops up invasively along the highway.

At the very least though it is a sign I will not be hassled for keeping a few parts cars in my yard or planting bamboo or kudzu.

• tete_a_tete
    9 years ago

I once grew a cutting of Norfolk Island Pine - a tree that can be used as an indoor plant in cold climates. The piece I used for rooting was horizontal, and the plant that eventuated from it continued in this same growth habit. I gave it to a friend, and over the years that he had it in his well-lit kitchen, it continued on its sideways journey.

Regarding wild callery pear, I presume this is Pyrus calleryana. We have them growing in a street down the road and my boss and I used to collect the seed from them years ago. They were used for planting as root stock for Pyrus ussuriensis to be budded onto.

You might like to collect some of the berries when they go brown and squashy. The seeds germinate easily. Then you can choose your favourite-shaped one.

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If it is the wrong time of year then what is going to happen with my cuttings?

I read that winter was a good time to take the cuttings.

Somebody reassure me.......

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anyone have anymore advice for me?
    please...

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

I think a distinction must be made as to where you make the cuttings. Today many trees are actually grafted trees, where they take one root stock and graft a different type of a similar tree to the root.

If you take cuttings from the top of the tree you will get a tree similar to what you see growing.

If you take the cutting quite close to the ground it may be from the root stock and be a tree from the root, which may be quite different from the tree you expected.

As to whether it roots that is up to all of the others in this thread.

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, this is defintely a seedling that is growing wild, and there are many more surrounded by it.

It seems and if the land was deforested or cut down and the callerys and red cedars and a few other trees are now growing there.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

tl, my comments about Callery pear's invasiveness notwithstanding, heed the words above about timing; Cuttings of woody plants can be made-in many species-and this may be one of them. but in all such cases, voluminous information is usually available as to timing, softwood versus hardwood, rooting hormone versus none needed....and these very same interwebs are your key.

But seriously, that plant is a troublemaker, not something to be promoted! I know, there I go again.

+oM

• sam_md
    9 years ago

trees wont root
    I cringe whenever I see nonsense like that on this forum. Knowledgeable posters know enough to scroll past but newbies might consider the source knowledgeable.
    Check out the youtube link to J.Frank Schmidt nursery, Boring OR. This grower has tree production down to a science. Their trees line the streets of N.America from coast to coast. They routinely propagate elms, cherries, magnolias, hollies and Acer rubrum cvs. from cuttings.
    Notice the mist line as they stick the cuttings, it will be turned on as soon as the women are out of the way.
    JFSchmidt's BR trees are sold directly to field-growers for B&B production, no containers involved.

Here is a link that might be useful: J Frank Schmidt Youtube

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Sam, I think maybe Ken was saying that one should not expect success when trying to root a "whole" plant, as in cutting a tree sapling down and trying to root the whole thing. Not sure, and also not sure why I'm speaking for him here, but I do believe he is aware of the presence of rooted cuttings in much of horticulture.

OP, each species has its own requirements, again pertaining to such factors as new wood/old wood, growing season/ dormant season, etc. Those are the key criteria you need to learn. Such info varies by species, but it can all be had.

+oM