Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skopi_gw

Apple tree - pollinator

skopi
10 years ago

We bought a house with some nice open full sun space in the backyard. I purchased a dwarf Pixie Crunch tree to be delivered in the spring.

I did not think about getting a different apple tree as a pollinator but read where crab apple trees can serve as a pollinator for Pixie Crunch.

How close does the pollinator need to be? If it 100 feet away with some trees in between, can that be a pollinator?

Comments (5)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Yes, the pollinators (bees, etc) should be able to do their job if the pollenizer (the other tree) is just 100' away.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

might be helpful to know where you are ...

to find out if the crabs and apples actually bloom at the same time ...

and to find out if your particular specimen actually needs a pollinator

i have never planted a second apple ... and i have never had a failure of crop ... but then.. i dont live in the asphalt jungle ...

and finally .... there is a hardcore bunch of fruit experts.. in the fruit forum ... that i have never seen here ... they may know.. offhand.. about your specific tree ... and ask them about their thoughts.. on yoru particular seller.. orders are always cancel-able .... [in other words.. i wouldnt be using arbor day or michigan bulb.. lol]

good luck

ken

ps: i would not expect a bloom nor fruit.. for a year or two.. well the recently transplanted tree gets a root mass down ... so dont worry yourself.. if nothing but leaves happens this year ... its doing its work underground ....

pps: if its ON ORDER .. and not yet sent.. most of us.. if we were really worried about it... would add a second diverse tree to the order ... if you ordered from a fruit seller ... CALL THEM.. and ask what they suggest as a pollinator ... you are already sending them money.. use their experience ...

ppps: see link on how to plant trees ...

Here is a link that might be useful: no winging it ... follow it ...

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Here you go:
    Apple 'Pixie Crunch' TM aka 'Orange Pippen'

It's a mid-season apple. As you will see it's parents are:
    Golden Delicoius (Miseason to late)
    Red Rome/Rome Beauty (same, 2 different names) (Late midseason)

You really cannot go wrong with a 'Golden Delicious'. It's my favorite apple.

The webpage says your Pixie Crunch is self-fertile, however, (2) varieties will always provide for more production.

Other Midseason apples are:
    'Red Delicious'
    'Jonathan'
    'McIntosh' ('Red McIntosh')
    'Spartan'

Dax

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Ken wrote, "and to find out if your particular specimen actually needs a pollinator"

All apple trees need a pollinator. Some need a pollenizer, and most will benefit from one even if they are called "self-fertile".

• skopi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help. I live in the suburbs of Cincinnati (zone 6), and there are plenty of trees around (just not many fruit trees). I just didn't have a sense of pollinator distance. I have room next to where this tree will be planted, but may want to use the space for a different fruit-bearing tree sometime in future, but will consider golden delicious.

Thanks!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022