Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharbear50_gw

Royal Empress Tree

sharbear50
15 years ago

I am in serious need of shade on my back patio and porch. I was looking at the Royal Empress Tree until I read about how evassive it is. Can anyone suggest a fast growing tree that is not so evassive; that will provide shade? I live on the Treasure Coast in Florda.

Comments (18)

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

The word you want is "invasive". Don't know that it would be a problem where you are, maybe the tree wouldn't even grow there. Where it does grow it produces a "tar pit of shade" and lots of litter - in addition to seeding out into the woods in suitable climates.

What you need is to find out what will have the desired attributes as well as grow under your site conditions. Have you looked around at any local outlets? Maybe also walk around the neighborhood, ask about trees in other yards that look appealing.

• lkz5ia
    15 years ago

There could be some kind of clumping bamboo that may work.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

You might want to ask as well on the Florida gardening forum; Florida can be such a different climate that even I, in Georgia, would not know what to suggest.

But you are absolutely right to do research on anything suggested. Florida's warm climate can foster many invasive plants. So when you get suggestions, do a bit of checking on your own. You might also call some nurseries and ask them for suggestions.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida forum

• sharbear50
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. Yep, invasive is what I meant...oops.

• sharbear50
    Original Author
    15 years ago

esh_ga I did post a message on Florida Gardening, it was removed...I guess that forum is for food growing or something...There are not many choices here where I live for nurseries...home depot and lowes, I may have to go to a mail order co but I don't know what to order. Thank you for the suggestions...

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Here are some native shade trees to consider. Red maple is described as "fast growing".

Here is a link that might be useful: Native shade trees

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Use your browser's search function to find references to "shade" and fast growing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native trees for south Florida

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Scroll down to "Trees".

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawn & Garden A - Z Index - UF/IFAS Extension: Solutions for Your Life

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

sharbear, I found your other post by the way - it is on the Southern Forum, not the Florida one. And no one has responded to it (that is not the most active of forums).

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

When I lived in Central Florida (z9), I planted a lemon eucalyptus tree that grew from a seedling to a 35' tree in 2 years. Not only did it provide excellent shade, but the leaves were very fragrant...it's where they get the lemon Pledge oil from. I've also read that it has mosquito repellent properties, but I'm a little dubious about that claim. I didn't notice any dent in my mosquito population.

All that being said, I would be worried about how long that tree would last; it was so fast-growing...I passed on the concern to the buyer when I sold the home. But it was a beautiful tree...one of the main things I miss about Florida!

• silversword
    15 years ago

My DH planted an Empress Tree, against my better judgement I let him. Well, it's a little stump in the ground, no leaves... we'll see if it actually grows!!! It's been about 6 months.

• sharbear50
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your responses. I don't get to my home computer very often. Esh ga, thank you for the link. I will check it out. Red maple might be just the thing.

• watermelon7
    15 years ago

There are non invasive forms of Royal Empress Tree. Search it up on Google.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

I don't think so. Not in the long run.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Nuisance spread where this occurs is by seeding, so if and when a specimen is producing viable seed in a suitable environment for seedling survival the nuisance factor will occur. Non-invasive forms would have to be flowerless or produce dysfunctional flowers. Except where grown for leaves only lack of flowers would defeat most of the purpose of this tree as a landscape feature. Perhaps non-flowering forms have been selected for wood production, if so I haven't noticed them.

I've only seen several instances of seedlings appearing here in our dry summer climate, all of them among rocks - except for a bunch of them popping up in an irrigated bed across the street from us.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    15 years ago

Sugarberrys are nice down there. Native too.

Royal empress trees don't really put out that much shade they are very sparsely branched.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    15 years ago

Another suggestion that is evergreen would be Southern Magnolia. Good for shade. Nice fragrant flowers.

• jnubbca
    13 years ago

If you take the time to prune a royal empress tree every year, water it, and fertilize it, and it is protected from high winds...it will end up looking like what you see in the pictures. Those are real trees! However, since most people do not have those resources....there are other good trees to get. You might want a catalpa, some type of redbud tree...but my personal favorite as a substitute is the Northern Magnolia. It has beautiful pink blooms that cover the branches before the leaves come out with a light fragrance, so it will not attract many bees. Plus, since it is magnolia, it will have leaves year round even though they look deciduous. It is hardy to zone 5, perfect!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_B0_LtEuv5yg/SB97QDkoozI/AAAAAAAABE0/bZPBK_szb40/s320/Northern%2BMagnolia%2B2.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3302/3471005529_3004ba99c6.jpg?v=0