Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

interesting oak acorn stratifying observation

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

I bought some Quercus coccinea seed from Sheffield's Seeds in late December. Put them in moist peat in the fridge. The instructions state 60-90 days stratification (IIRC) but a few already have very short (>3mm) roots poking out or at least some cracking of the shell indicative of germination.

Near as I can tell, they must have pre-stratified in cold storage before I bought them.

Generally, seeds won't stratify unless moist. So storing dry seed in cold temperatures does not break the dormancy, unless they're kept moist.

However, since oaks are "recalcitrant" seeds (they cannot dry out much if at all, or they die), if they're kept moist enough to stay alive, they're probably moist enough internally (even if stored "dry" as in without moist medium) to "count" stratification time while in storage. Since Sheffield's (per their website) didn't recieve the seeds themselves until December, and Scarlet Oak acorns usually fall in October or so, it's likely the collector of the seed kept them in cold storage with moisture control before shipping them off to Sheffield's in the first place.

Just an interesting observation I wanted to share.

This post was edited by hairmetal4ever on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 14:38

Comments (2)