Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
swamp oak

Posted by scott2006 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 12:57

Hello,
I have a young 4 year old swamp oak the has been slow to leaf out.

This fall I noticed that the leafs turned brown but did not drop off. Even with this cold ohio winter.

Is the tree ok?

Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: swamp oak

It's sending roots down instead of using energy for upward growth, it seems.

The leaf situation is normal.

When it doesn't leaf out at all, then you have a problem/dead tree. Give it time.

Dax

o

OK thanks for the reply. Hope you have a good new year.

We have too many deer ....do you know of anything to keep them out of the flowers and garden .... short of a fence.
Scott

o

Many younger oaks hold onto their brown leaves through the winter (some older ones as well).

o

Scott, White Oaks hold their leaves most of the winter, Red Oaks shed them in the fall. I'm presuming you have Quercus bicolor?
For deer, I grow Poncirus trifoliata. I cut the branches and put them over/around the small plants. To discourage buck rebs, I hang them in the trees over the winter. A PITA, but it save heartache. Even then, I can't protect them all, but it helps.

o

My Pin oaks keep theirs up til spring, when they put out new leaves. My Q. Bicolor have a few tan clingers. Not sure which Water-oak you mean.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (NW) (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 22:48

The common name for Q. bicolor is swamp oak. As Dax mentioned its normal for swamp oak to hang onto to its brown leaves (and show very little fall color) up until their juvenile years. I don't see them hang on mature trees around here.

Exposure and precipitation have alot to do with how much and how long they hold on.

o

Hey whaas. Around here, older trees lose their leaves to the wind down to the point near the ground where the wind is somewhat blocked. It is not uncommon to see small trees with all their leaves, and bigger trees ( > 25ft) 1/2 clothed. This winter has been windy, so white oaks are pretty naked. I'll try to take a pic and show you what I mean.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (NW) (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 13:40

Yep, I see the same. A huge business park around here planted quite a few swamp oak. They are about 15 years old, possibly 30' tall and as of last week they are about 1/2 clothed.

o

I think it would be better to write 'swamp white oak' rather than 'swamp oak'. The former can only mean one species-Quercus bicolor, while the latter could mean any number of high water table-adapted species spread across the land.

+oM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here