Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kstolzm

Peppermint Flowering Peach Tree

kstolzm
10 years ago

Hey, I am looking for anything I can get about a peppermint flowering peach tree. I just bought one. Its about 7' tall. I put it in the ground and have been watering it well. Do I need to prune it some to bring it out of dormancy? Tips and suggestions? Thanks.

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

prune it in a year or two ... when it needs pruning ...

it will come out of dormancy.. at the appropriate time for you zone ..

its a tree... water it when it needs watering.. letting it near dry before watering it again ... if you just planted it.. it probably wont need watering again.. for a month ... how many times have you watered it???

see link on how to plant and care for a tree .. if you varied from said instructions in a significant manner.. like amending soil or fertilizing.. dig it back up.. and start over ... and water as suggested ...

good luck ...

BTW.. is it ornamental.. or is it supposed to actually fruit???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• kstolzm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Ken, I've watered it several times because that's what the company told me when I called for specific directions. I don't water when its rained, of course. I will let it dry out some. When I put it in the ground, I did throw in a little scoop from my compost pile.

No fruit, only the ornamental flowers.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i hope you took the time to read the link.. about watering deeply.. and infrequently ... and using your finger to test the soil 2 or 3 inches down ...

good luck .. looks like a cool plant..

compost good.. fertilizer bad ... so i wouldnt worry about that ... and never is a little this or that bad .... its the 'more is better' frame of mind that is a problem...

as a tree... in a few years.. its roots will be feet out from the tree ... and if you fert your lawn... it will get whatever it needs ... so dont go double juicing it ... and the same if you spread compost on your beds... that will be good enough ...

good luck .. and do favor us with some pix ... but dont be surprised.. if it isnt much of a show the first year... fruit trees are some times stingy on flowers.. the first season ... especially newly planted trees ...

ken

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

No benefit to adding compost or other organic matter to planting holes of trees. This first began to be noticed (by people reporting it in scientific literature) during studies undertaken during the 1960s.

Two that have been sold with "peppermint" in the name are 'Peppermint' PP 5147 (1983), from Texas and 'Peppermint Stick' of W. B. Clarke in California. The first produces double, red and white flowers and the latter is a robust selection with double white flowers variably striped and marked red.

Your tree will require the same siting (full sun, good drainage) and pest, disease control as orchard peach cultivars. Among multiple important problems which vary in occurrence and severity regionally are peach leaf curl, borers and nematodes.

This post was edited by bboy on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 11:40

• kstolzm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys! I read the link and will follow accordingly. Its centered in area that will get great full son. My backyard has the ever most slight decline so good drainage. I did make a pallet wood fence to go around it (I have a 9 month old Boxer pup who hasn't quite learned to leave my plants alone). LOL. I went out this morning and noticed 2 teeny tiny buds (the white fuzzy looking buds) starting to open! I was SO excited. I will post pics once it looks more alive - kinda of scrappy looking right now with no growth.

• kstolzm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When should I do pest control?

• kstolzm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

New buds opening.