Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorack_gw

Holes bored into tree

dorack
9 years ago

These holes, two small and one large were bored into one of my trees. I did not see what did it. There are woodpeckers around my house, but I never saw anything like this before. Any ideas on what could have done this. They appeared after a few days the chips are fresh.
Thanks

Comments (14)

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

Woodpecker damage, no doubt

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Pileated, I should think.

Now don't go cursing these marvelous birds. They're only doing this because there are insects in the tree trunks.

+oM

• dorack
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

fairly indicative of the interior of the tree rotting ... and pretty down low ....

its a menace.. if there is any potential that it can fall on anything of value .... and if so.. should probably go ..

no .. it can not be fixed ... the holes arent the problem... its the rotted interior ...

these birds did you a favor ... by exposing this potential death trap ....

looks like a rather natural area ... if so.. it can just be felled.. and left to rot ... mother natures way.. except you get to pick.. which way it falls ...

ken

ps: surprised tom missed suggesting such ....

• dbarron
    9 years ago

However, leaving it up (if safe to do so), provides food and possible nesting sites for woodpeckers and other birds vs felling it.
    Felling would be the last resort for me.

• sam_md
    9 years ago

You have a pileated woodpecker, how could you miss them? They always announce their presence, very vocal and big as a crow.
    Of course leave the tree alone, if you're lucky they will come back.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Like others said, Pileated woodpecker. They're not always hunting insects -- also may be making/testing new nest-holes. The tree doesn't have to be "rotted" for them to work on -- only preferred, and healthy trees can fit their "bill".

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

And if you don't believe a bird could make these holes you have never seen Pileated woodpecker in action. Every time I see one using their axe (bill) on a tree I am impressed.

They can make more wood fly with their bill than I can with my axe, and in some case the chips are nearly as large.

• sam_md
    9 years ago

on the birdwatcher forum here is one of several good posts on pileated wp

Here is a link that might be useful: pileated thread

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

I had thought I had killed some carpenter bees (and patched the holes!) in the raking on my garage. Guess not! The local pileated found them (heard them? smelled them?) and opened up the bee channels several times, probably pulling out larva. He finally must have gotten them all because he's not bothering it any more....for now.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    9 years ago

and if you wondered how they do it....

Claire

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

I didn't go to either of the links, but by my recollection, pileated woodpeckers 'listen' for insects in the bole of the tree. Pretty amazing if you ask me.

In northern white cedar stands-AKA Thuja occidentalis-some of the trees will have within them nests of carpenter ants. Pileateds will pound away to get at them. Somehow doesn't seem to hurt the trees unduly, although that's relative to time. No better sight in nature than these deep green, mossy-looking trees with the big red-crested birds in them. I get quite a lot of that up at my woods.

I would also elect to leave such trees as shown to us by OP standing-to the extent that safety allows-for wildlife purposes. But yes, of course, if in a natural area, but one frequented by people, laying the log down to rot would be choice #2.

+oM

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

He made extra homes for his friends the chickadees too.
    Jo

• j0nd03
    9 years ago

"and if you wondered how they do it....

Claire"

Nature is so awesome! Thanks for the link

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH