Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blake_15

Relocating a Tulip Poplar

Blake_15
9 years ago

We have a 8' tall tulip poplar and is around 4-6" in diameter. How hard will it be to relocate and how do I do it? How big will the root system be?

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

sounds kind of short.. for the size of the trunk ...

the size of the root mass is irrelevant ...

will your soil hold in a ball???? if not.. skip it ...

start digging a 4 foot root ball ... wrap the sides in burlap ... undercut it.. and finish the burlapping...

and then figure out how to lift a 2 to 3 HUNDRED root ball.. out of the hole ...

in the mean time.. dig a new hole... then figure out how to drag it across the yard ....

i got mine as mail order whips ... for under 10 bucks.. years ago ... frankly i dont know why you want to invest a day or two.. in supreme extensive hard labor ... in my world.. its simply not worth it ...

once you get it in the new hole ... hopefully at the proper level.. because i doubt you will be able to lift it out ... backfill about half way.. flood it ... backfill the rest.. flood again ... [and i am presuming your soil will properly drain ...] .. see link for various other variables ....

then mulch properly.. and be in charge of water for two years ...

this would be best done.. in full dormancy.. 6 to 8 weeks before the heat of summer.. and 4 weeks prior to leaf out.... since you dont say where you are.. who knows when that is .... minutes after ground thaw... in my MI ....

again ... i wouldnt waste my time ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

Blake, I have made the mistake of moving a crepe myrtle that was almost as tall. Don't do it! It isway easier to buy a new 4 foot tree and olant it. Higher success rate also.

If the tree has sentimental value then where there is a will there is a way. That way should involve heavy equipment.

FWIW I saw a series of videos from an old boy who bare rooted some similar sized maples it seemed way easier to move them about than moving a large chuck of dirt just waiting to snap roots or a tunk off.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Save your back & get a new tree -- they grow remarkably fast.

• hamburglar1
    9 years ago

Agree with the other posters. Moving a fast-growing tree like tuliptree is not worth the effort. You would probably have to water the heck out of it too. Mine tends to be thirsty.

By the way, I noticed there is a new variety available through mail-order called "Emerald City". That might be worth a shot. In my area, the open grown tuliptrees tend not to have a straight leader all of the way up, and can often look lop-sided (the ones in groves or woods are straight as an arrow).

Reason I mention this... when I planted my specimen a couple years ago, I searched for a variety that had a tendency for straight leader and regular branching. Came up empty, but it's interesting to see that tree breeders are working on the issue. I'm all for it.

• sam_md
    9 years ago

Hi Blake,
    By all means you can dig your tulip poplar. You won't find the answer to your question on this forum. Come over to the professionals forum for a detailed answer to your question. We dig trees for a living. see link
    As far as why to dig a low $ value tree, sometimes a tree was planted as a memorial, birth of a child, birthday present or otherwise has sentimental value.
    Sometimes it is as simple as a tree that was grown from seed and we want to keep that individual tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: prof forum post

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Huh?
    You can move it, whether or not you're a "professional", but be prepared to dig to China. They are probably my #4 or #5 worst tree seedling weed, after maples, ashes, and cherries. I have tried to merely dig up a 2-3 footer - only a year of growth - and in good deep soil, I think its tap root had gone 2-3' deep. I just gave up after 18 inches and cut it off with some loppers. Now I know that unlike maples and cherries, I have to dig them out the minute I see them.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Tue, Feb 3, 15 at 12:35

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Sorry Sam, I see why you linked to that. At first I wondered "are they already changing gardenweb", and assumed it was some kind of promotional or advertisement post. Excuse my cynicism. I had never heard of the professionals forum and thought it was a new feature.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Tue, Feb 3, 15 at 12:50