Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetcherryblossom

Crooked tree

sweetcherryblossom
10 years ago

A little over a year ago, my family and I moved into a new house that had a tree (I think its a mimosa tree) in the front yard. However, the tree is leaning at about a 45 degree angle to the ground. My dad has tried staking it down to one of the large rocks in the front yard (we have desert landscape in the front yard) and the tree actually moved the rock. I have heard its not good for a tree to be leaning that much. Is there anything else we can try to fix it? Its an otherwise nice looking tree, so I don't really want to get rid of it.

Comments (8)

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

Not much we can do without a pic or just more info. Trees sometimes grow in a leaning fashion, usually reaching for light, while other trees start out straight and begin to lean later because of some calamity. Two very different situations with two different answers.

+oM

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

If it's an Albizia julibrissin, I'd recommend pruning at ground level immediately followed by an appropriate dose of glyphosate. But, without a proper ID and a picture, it's anyone's guess as to what type of tree it is, whether there is actually a problem that needs to be addressed, what caused the problem, or what the best solution would be.

• sweetcherryblossom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of the tree. I hope this helps.

• nel5397
    10 years ago

It looks like a mesquite tree. It is not unusual for them to grow at weird angles or into multitrunk specimens.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

the tree did not move the rock ... your dad did with the rope ...

enjoy it the way it is.. or get rid of it ... no other option ...

but before you get rid of it... think long and hard about why you guys are insisting on a straight tree... this one has much more character and uniqueness.. as compared to a plain old upright tree ...

most of us.. would pay EXTRA money for such a dramatic specimen..

and all you guys can think is.. well... i dont know what you are thinking ...

its really cool ... leave it alone ..

ken

ps: you could prune it up a bit.. and add some nice plants under it.. to make an incredible scape.. with a very dramatic tree .... as the centerpiece ...

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

A rock the size of the one in the picture (if that's the size of the one that was moved) could easily be moved by a tree that size, especially if the rock was adrift on pea gravel. The first thing I'd consider is whether the tree had grown naturally at that angle or if it had shifted into the lean. One could make an educated guess based on whether the pea gravel at the base of the tree had been disturbed. If the tree fell, after initially being more vertical, I'd suspect a poorly formed root system, most likely caused by roots being potbound at planting. In that case, there's not much practically that you can do at this point. You could just leave it as-is and enjoy it while it lasts or remove it entirely. If the base of the tree does not seemed to have shifted, I would definitely just learn to enjoy its character. If it grew naturally like that, it's roots are strong and there shouldn't be any long-term problem associated with the angle of the trunk. The bottom line though is that the two most reasonable solutions, in either case, are removal or love it as-is.

• sweetcherryblossom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thing is though we've seen pics of the tree from a few years ago (we did street view on Google Earth) and the tree was growing straight.

In regards to the rock, that is not the one that was tied to the tree. There is another one that is larger that is not in the pic. I am thinking we might keep the tree the way it is cause the kids (and the cat) like using the branches that are on the ground as a hiding spot. I'm not sure though.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Sounds like it was planted incorrectly then. Unfortunately it's a way too common problem. It's hard to tell what the tree's future will bring.