Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden96734

Extendable Pole Pruning Saw

garden96734
9 years ago

Hi all,

I have a question on pole pruning saws. I already have a couple of extendable poles - ones with male thread at the tip where I can attach attachments like cleaning brush, paint brush, etc. and I'm looking all over to hopefully find a pruning saw attachment but I don't have any luck. anyone know where I can get something like that?

the closest I found was this one at Lowe's, but I can't be certain it uses the standard type of attachments, in case their pole breaks and I can use my own. also, looking at the reviews, most say the blade is too flimsy so I'd like to get my own attachment if possible.
here's the link to lowe's: or search for corona tp 2212

http://www.lowes.com/pd_56753-63731-TP+2212_4294612751__?productId=3586544&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar:1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

I was in the same boat a few years ago.
    There is some company in the midwest - I will try to find the name of it later today, I will have to look through various email accounts - who make a pruning saw that attaches to a window washing pole screw-point. It's reasonably well made and adjustable as to angle. However, I would say with the 24' pole triple extended, you aren't going to cut anything more than 1" thick, and even that is going to be a pain. I eventually had to take a lot of extension out of the picture, and stand in my elevated front end loader bucket. To reach the highish 3" branch I was trying to reach. The issue is the window washing poles are most assuredly not designed to handle that level of force. You have to tighten the clasp mechanism as tight as possible with big offsetting pliers, or they will slide right out, and even with both partly tucked in (so the pole was well short of the 24' max) the amount of play meants a great deal of your energy is wasted on the thing twisting and flexing. In other words, there's a reason such an attachment is not sold in every hardware store. The dedicated poles like the one you posted, but, especially the professional ones, are so much more expensive per unit length probably because they are more rigid.

With the setup I had, it would have take the upper body of Arnold at his peak to make quick work of a branch. It's very, very exhausting work. Took me well over an hour to get a 3"-4" branch off, and my shoulders felt like jelly afterwards. On another branch, I switched to one of those throwoever chain cutters sold by Northern Tool. But, after an exhausting afternoon of work, I did get the entire set of hemlock branches I was worried about down. With only minimal damage to the BLEs below. Funny this came up because just yesterday I looked at the situation and decided this spring will be the time to finish off the rest of it. The plants no longer need the shade. Problem was I had a 50+ year old hemlock that someone had allowed a massive "waterspout" to take hold in.

BTW - it had taken me hours to find something like that in google. It was a small company in the midwest the sold direct on the internet only. I think all he had really done was some how find a way to bridge the incompatible connection standards with some small threaded part he had custom fabricated or cast by a metal company. The saw itself was made by another company. But like I said, it was well enough made, just not as useful given the limitation of the standard hardware store extension poles.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Mon, Jan 5, 15 at 4:45

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

maybe amleo.com??? .. see link

but .... well .. have you ever used one of these ...two things come to mind ...

first.. there is no human experience of muscle use... for looking straight up.. and holding a 10 or 15 pound pruning saw on a pole.. and cutting branches.. lol ... you will ache.. in muscles you didnt know you had.. and had never used in this way before ... david is clear on that ... but its also an age thing.. i could use it easily in my 40s ... i can barely do it now ... in my 50s... and would rather drag out my little giant ladder... and climb up there ...

and the other thing.. i dont know.. if i would trust a few turns on a paint roller pole.. with that surgically sharp tree pruning saw.. dangling over my head... 10 or 15 feet into space .... you may end up without an ear.. or nose.... if the threads fail ... after all.. with you standing under it.. and gravity and all ... there is nowhere else for it to go ...

good luck ... and be safe ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: opt for pruning.. then pole saws ...

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

I found the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.accu-measure.net/screwonsawhead.html

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

I have a Corona folding "razor-tooth" hand pruning saw that I find works really well. So a couple of years ago I bought a pole pruning saw, the may have been the same one you linked to. After getting it home I found that it had a cheap stamped-metal saw blade instead one like the "razor-tooth" hand pruning saw.

The cheap blade could barely cut anything even when held in your hand, much less at the end of a long, heavy wobbly pole. I returned it.

Instead I took my "razor-tooth" pruning saw and cut down a long piece of bamboo from our bamboo patch, duct-taped the saw to the bamboo, and used that. It managed to do the job, but ken is right, it is hard frustrating work. It took about an hour to get through a 3" branch counting the needed frequent rest breaks.

• garden96734
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you David for looking high and low for their link. and Ken thanks on your insight, never thought about safety issues regarding it falling down, but I'll probably cut at an angle.
    what i'm cutting are just palm leaves (large ones) but should be relatively easy to cut.

still not sure what I'll do yet but I may give this screw on saw head a try.

- Sammy

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

The problem with saws on poles is you end up catching the saw on branches not intended to be cut (or raked, as it turns out) while moving it around inside the tree.

Much better to get a tall pruning ladder. Those can be clumsy also (and expensive) but at least you will then be able to get up to where you have much better control of the saw.

And a better view of the pruning site.

If you can reach it from a ladder of some height maybe it is then time to call a tree service.