Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Huge Crepe Myrtle Root

Posted by joebobjones none (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 17:45

Last August I cut down a 26 year old Crepe Myrtle tree which was causing foundation damage to my porch. After being cut down, the base of the trunk a couple inches above the ground was five feet across (yes, that's feet!). I had the stump ground, but there's still wood six to eight inches below the ground. I would like to plant a shrub in the place where the tree was. My question is, how much farther down would I have to chop through the root base before I reached dirt?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Huge Crepe Myrtle Root

are you so seriously lacking in space.. that you cant move over one foot or so.. until you find a clear area to dig down???

thats how i would deal with it ...

the somewhat odd spacing will bug you to death for the first year.. but you can shape the plant to fill over where you want...

bottom line.. i dont work that hard.. to dig a hole ...

ken

o
RE: Huge CrApe Myrtle Root

Almost all (well over 90%) of the roots of your former crApe myrtle should be in the top foot to foot-and-a-half of soil. If your crApe was planted in very well draining soil (ie sandy soil), there will be more roots down at about one foot below the surface than if your soil was not as well-draining (ie clay). Either way, most of the roots will be near the surface and fan out for quite a distance from the base.

o
Re: Huge CrApe Myrtle Root

adding to Ken's thoughts...IF you do decide to plant right over the top of where your crApe was, in addition to having to work so hard to get the hole dug, keep in mind that loosened soil underneath your new planting may result in settling.

This post was edited by brandon7 on Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 19:55

o

I have sawzalled out some honeysuckle roots before. Maybe crape creepe crepe myrtles sucker bad enough you need to do that.

Small shovel lots of work and a plug in sawzall. Guess round up for the remaining roots could not hurt although stump killer seems more spot on. If you use poison wait awhile to replant.

No power lines there I assume?

o
RE: Huge CrApe Myrtle Root

The time for glyphosate (or whatever herbicide one decides to use) was back in August. Since JoeBob didn't mention myriads of suckers popping up, I'd guess he handled that problem already.

o

I planted a white oak acorn right on top of a grinded out pecan stump once. That oak tree is now over 12' tall.

I think a shrub would be okay, but the smaller the better. I wouldn't try to dig a 3 gallon size hole.

o

Ken, as a matter of fact, I am squeezed for space. I have other shrubs in the vicinity and need something in the same location as the previous Crepe Myrtle to balance the landscape.

Brandon, I did indeed treat the stump and root system with Tryclopir (Ortho Poison Ivy and Tough Brush Killer) when I had the tree cut down. Never got a single shoot or sprout.

Toronado, I'll check in to a sawzall. That might be what I need.

Alabama, thanks for that info. That gives me hope that a new planting will do ok in that location.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here