Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treenutt

tree protection tubes

treenutt
13 years ago

anyone have any exprience with these tubes? What brand is better? I am thinking about buy a few and wanted some opinions. Thanks. Eric

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

if you were to give us a better idea of the application you are wishing to address.. we might be able to more fully answer your question ...

4 inch perforated drain pipe ... can work for larger trees ...

ken

• gopher14
    13 years ago

Hi treenutt,
    In my opinion the best tree tubes on the market are the Tubex Combitube Treeshelters: Easy to install, vented for better growth, very durable. Cost a little more (not much) but worth it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wilson Tree Tubes

• pineresin
    13 years ago

"and wanted some opinions"

Nasty plastic litter that spoils the landscape and harms wildlife. Often with the remains of a dead tree in the middle.

Resin

• scotjute Z8
    13 years ago

The trees I've seen grown in them seemed a bit spindly. Prefer to grow trees in the open.

• MisterTristern
    13 years ago

Yes, knowing the application would help tremendously. For a squirrel deterrent, its possible simply to roll sheet metal into an appropriatly sized tube. Let us know.

• gopher14
    13 years ago

scotjute - Yes, at the point in time when trees emerge from tree tubes they have thinner stems than open grown trees. However, 1) this has changed thanks to research on vented tree tubes which promote more diameter growth in the tube, and 2) after the trees emerge they quickly add stem caliper to come back into balance. I guess it depends on what you are comparing. Compared to an open grown tree that is not browsed by deer or rabbits, not subject to moisture stress and not threatened by weed competition, I'll take the open grown tree. Compared to the more common reality of heavy deer browse, drought stress, and not being able to find or weed around your trees due to competing weeds/brush, I'll take the tree in a tree tube. If you can successfully go from seedling to tree without tree tubes there's no reason to use them. Tree tubes are for the folks who literally wouldn't be able to grow trees with today's historically high deer populations, unpredictable weather and invasive/exotic weed competitors.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

For revegetation work with deer problems, tree tubes are great.
    That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! Several varieties out there at the usual arborist/landscape/reveg/conservation supply catalogs.

Dan

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

I know what you mean, esin. I hate those spiral guards which litter some woodland and municipal plantings. But in a wood with a large roe deer population young trees don't stand a chance without a tree guard. I cut them away once the tree is above deer browse height. I use a mesh guard because I am not concerned with increasing growth, only protection from deer.

I grow my own trees from seed so I don't want lose them after all that time invested. I use my own copppice for the stakes.

Here is a link that might be useful: tree guards

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

I use my own copppice for the stakes.

I do the same thing. Great minds think alike! ;o)

Dan

• chris_wilsonirr_com
    13 years ago

Dan & Flora - Great minds do think alike - I think growing trees directly from seed is the absolute best way to go (funny how long it takes us to figure out that Mother Nature had the right idea all along!). Planting acorns, chestnuts or walnuts directly and then protecting with tree tubes is a dynamite combination. I have seen direct seeded black walnuts emerge from 4ft tree tubes the first season, and outgrow bare root seedlings planted at the same time!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree Tubes

• gopher14
    12 years ago

There have been several posts on this thread about growing trees from seed - in my opinion the best way to go! Just a reminder to all of those interested in growing trees directly from acorns/walnuts/chestnuts, etc: Seed drop time is coming, so pick out your favorite trees and keep an eye on them to see when seeds will drop... because you'll be racing the squirrels, jays, wild turkeys, deer etc. to get your share. After that, learn what treatment they need in order to germinate - many need a cold treatment to break dormancy - to mimic the winter they would undergo on the forest floor - so keeping them in a zip lock bag in the fridge works well. When it's time to plant be sure to protect them with tree tubes. Often direct seeded acorns or black walnuts will outgrow those planted as seedlings!