Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesliexxa

My Dwarf Alberta Spruce turning brown

LesliexxA
10 years ago

My Dwarf Alberta Spruce is a birthday gift from Dec. 2, 2013. I planted it mid Dec. and it looked good until it started to turn brown from the top down. The soil was soft when I planted it but now it's frozen and the tree is 3 quarters brown and the needles are falling off. If I can't save it and I decide to buy a new one to replace it when should I plant the new one? I am heartbroken that this happened. She spent around $30 on it at Home Depot. Is it dying because I didn't know how to remove the root ball? Is it possible after the soil softens for me to remove it? What is it and where is it? I will do my best to save it and if I replace it I will quietly so I don't hurt my friend's feelings. Hope someone can help me?

Comments (5)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

If I were you, I'd try to determine what happened to your old one before replacing it with one that is likely to do the same thing. Dwarf Alberta spruces are problem-prone shrubs to start with, so it may or may not really be something that could have easily been avoided. Theses things are know to attract spider mites from at least a 1000-mile radius. A picture would likely help us to know what happened.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub

• famartin
    10 years ago

It was only $30. Given time of year, it sounds like it wasn't planted properly. You should describe its planting in detail, if possible.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

that was not the proper planting season in your zone...

and i am wondering why it was for sale at that time of year..

and am wondering.. if it wasnt meant to be an indoor xmas tree ...

meaning ..... it wasnt properly hardened off for planting outdoors.. weeks before severe deep cold ... in which case.. all the needles burned off ... [freeze dried like chicken left in the freezer too long.. all the moisture sucked out of the needles]

regardless.. life is all in the buds.. and if those survive winter.. properly dormant.. then there is a chance.. albeit small.. that it will reflush in spring ....

i would contact the seller.. and ask them if they will replace the plant in spring .....

any chance at a pic?? ... if you cant read the buds yourself?? ... brown and hard is good.. black and squishy is not ...

the proper name is Picea glauca 'conica' should you wish to learn more about this CONIFER ...

no use posting in that forum... because most of us hang in both forums.. as conifers are trees....

ken

ps: if you go for a replacement... ask how to plant it.. before you do so ....

pps: i have had to replace many a gift plant ... lol.. been there.. dont that ... so dont worry about that part ... once even convinced dad.. that the green plant he gave me.. turned into the blue version... lol... P glauca Saunders Blue is the blue version of yours ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

"that was not the proper planting season in your zone..."

In much of Massachusetts, winter should be a perfect time for planting. The eastern part of the state (the post populous region) ranges from zone 6 to zone 7. Another piece of info that might help is exactly what part of the state Leslie is in (and information about whether the ground has been deeply frozen solid - if that is known).

"...it wasnt properly hardened off for planting outdoors"

I wonder if Leslie knows if it was purchased from a nursery (probably hardened off and ready to stay outside) or somewhere else (maybe as an indoor Christmas tree).

• akamainegrower
    10 years ago

The 2013/2014 winter is already the most difficult in close to 20 years throughout New England. Repeated sub-zero, lows, daytime highs below freezing for extended periods, high winds, ice, etc. Even if properly hardened off and properly planted, it would be very difficult for any species to survive a December planting this winter.

Make sure the area you chose for planting is not in an excessively windy place or where salt or other ice melting chemicals can accumulate, then replant in the spring. Protection with a burlap or other type of screen is a good idea for the first winter.