Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

I have some extra Q. Fusi/ Virginiana? acorns

poaky1
9 years ago

I got these acorns from Ebay. They don't look like pure Q. Fusiformis acorns. The seller said they were Id'ed as Fusi though. I am trying them in zone 6, but, they likely are better off in zone 7. They don't look like pure Q. Virginiana either, though. I have lots of them left. Does anyone want some of them? They are free, of course. Any I don't give away will be sown in some places around where I live, just so they have a chance to be a tree, but, I hope some peeps can use them. Poaky1
{{gwi:2121482}}

Comments (9)

• rgodman
    9 years ago

Hiya Poaky... I would love to have a couple to grow if you have extra. I planted a Live Oak (Virginiana) in my old backyard which is a nice (tho slow growing) tree. I check in on it once in awhile. Was container grown and planted about 8 years ago. I would put one of these in my new backyard, and also plant 1 or 2 to field grow for a few years to bonsai. I am in Georgia, right on the zone 7/8 line.

Just in case you wanted the info.. I am about 50-60 miles west of Virginiana's range by the charts, the tree stays evergreen all year. I planted it, a Nuttall Oak, and a Northern Red Oak. All were container grown, all about the same size... 7-8 ft. The Nuttall is 4 times the size of the Live Oak, the Northern red is now twice the size of the Live Oak. The Live oak in now roughly 12' tall, about 10' spread. Maybe 8" annual growth if that.

It is fair to say the new owners appear to be doing nothing to any of the trees (how the Live Oak could have used pruning over the years) so I doubt any are being fertilized or watered at all. I have been gone from the house about 5 years.

Ray

This post was edited by RGodman on Thu, Jan 29, 15 at 10:41

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I can send you some Fusi acorns, they may be hybrids with Virginiana although the seller said they were Fusi, the acorns look like they could be a mix. You are planting these in a new yard, and had property where there were Virginiana's? Send me an email through my member page, unless that was you who already sent me one. Poaky1

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Ray, I need your mailing info. I see now that you can't email me from my GW page. My email is julie.gogola@yahoo.com. Let me know your address, and at least you last name. Poaky1

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ray, I haven't got your mailing info, I haven't got an email from you yet. I have the acorns in my fridge, they should keep for a while yet. I don't see a way for me to get your email on your page. If you changed your mind let me know, my email is above in the last post. I will keep them til April, then they are going to be used or thrown out. They should be planted soon for better chance of germination, though. Poaky1

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ray, If I haven't emailed you yet, I haven't got your info yet. I have 4 people I am sending seeds to and none of them is named Ray, so I won't be sending you seeds under that name. I see your in Ga. None of the 4 names I know who want seeds are in Ga. So I will give you my email here, and if you email me I will talk details, if not that's fine. These are not gauranteed to germinate, they have been in cold storage, but they are free for you so what the heck, right? julie.gogola@yahoo.com ok poaky1

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, BTW, I have extra Shagbark Hickory seeds if you want any, free of course. Poaky1

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

Poaky, love to have any tree seeds you have to give away.

Postage?

Jo

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, Josephine, you are the Grants NM Jo right?

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, I emailed you, I will send some Shagbark Hickory seeds also, unless you say not to, I have many of them. Will send soon, I guess you are not getting the bitter cold we are here, so I can send them soon, they should be okay in a bubble mailer, I will have to use a bubble mailer with big seeds like the acorns. Ok, Poaky1