Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nscherf

what is this?

Nscherf
10 years ago

Hi

can anyone help me find out what this is? I went to do some yard work for my Grandma and this is what I found on her apricote trees. It looks like some kind of fungal deseas. I would like to know as I don't want the tree dieing and neither does she. I have posted several pictures of it. Any Ideas?

Comments (17)

• Nscherf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

heres another angel

• Nscherf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another pic

• Nscherf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and here is why I think it is fungal. it has this sap stuff coming out of it.

• Nscherf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

heres another one

• Nscherf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and got one more after this one.

• Nscherf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thats all of it for right now

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

From a thousand miles away I'd guess Bacterial Canker (Pseudomonas syringae) is a possibility.

tj

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

Yep TJ, most likely Pseudomonas something er other. The amber-colored gum is diagnostic for this group of bacterial diseases.

N, this looks fairly advanced and I'd not think it appropriate to try any heroic measures to save the tree. Probably best to cut your losses and start anew, albeit in a different location. That pathogen and some of its vectors can inhabit the soil and infect from one generation to the next, especially in somewhat milder areas (Which yours is compared to here).

+oM

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    10 years ago

Looks originally like freeze burn, happens a lot on fruit trees.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

This tree is pretty far gone (more gone than not). As +oM said, spend your efforts elsewhere. This tree is on its way out.

As a sidenote, whoever does the pruning on that tree should either refresh their pruning knowledge or put the saws and pruners away for good. That is NOT how you prune a tree! It's possible that older pruning contributed to this problem.

• Nscherf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

we do have another apricote right next to this one and it doesn't look like it's infected with what this one has. is there a way I can prevent the other one from getting infected?
    Brandon, my Grandma is the one who prunes the trees and my Peepaw before he passed away used to do all of the gardening. My Grandma had to pick up the gardening when he passed away so she may not know how to prune the branches properly. Can you tell me how to properly prune fruit trees so that next time I am over there I can show her how?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

I can't cover the whole subject of pruning fruit trees, but I can post a link that will show you how to remove a limb. Check out
    hort.ufl.edu/woody/pruning-cuts.shtml and maybe fyi.uwex.edu/forestry/when-is-the-best-time-to-prune. There may also be other, even better, guides available online. The key is to identify the branch bark ridge and branch collar and then prune immediately beyond them. Don't flush cut and don't leave excess stubs. The stubs aren't covered over (at least not for a long time) and, when stubs are left, rot and diseases are often introduced.

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Based on the greenery of everything, I presume the pics were at least a few months ago.

I would see if it leafs out/blooms in spring, but it's probably a goner.

• Nscherf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Brandon7 for the links on pruning trees. I am sure this will help my Grandma on pruning her trees.
    Yes hairmetal4ever, these pictures were taken a few months ago. If it does leaf out in spring, is there a chance it can still survive? Is there some kind of Fungicide that I can try and use on it? Also, how can I keep it from spreading to the other apricote tree?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

The best way to keep it from spreading is to keep the other trees growing vigorously (probably the single most important thing), keep wounds to a minimum (including proper pruning), and consider cleaning any pruning tools when pruning is necessary. I like using Lysol disinfecting spray or those durable/cotton alcohol wipes to clean my pruners. These clean well and do not encourage rust on the blades.

You can spray trees to reduce the chance of disease, but whether it's really worth doing is up to you. There are many chemicals out there, and different people will recommend different ones.

An important thing to keep in mind is that most Prunus-genus trees (such as this apricot) are short-lived and disease-prone to start with. You aren't going to be able to keep them alive forever. You may want to just consider them a crop that has to be replanted every few years, if they are something you want.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

first and 4th[???] pic... its growing out of a pot ?????

and what is the point of the heavy rope torture?????

apricots are extremely short lived trees [in tree years] .... suffering.. as you are finding out.. from a slew of problems;

its a goner ... except.. with trees.. that could take forever ... lol ...

i would not.. personally.. spend money on trying to save it .... besides the fact.. there is no treatment for such ...

the issue is not really whether it leafs out ... we can recommend a hundred trees for leaves.. that arent disease ridden ...

the question is.. does she get any useful fruit off of it.. and if not ... because its inherently weak .. then what is the point ...

good luck ...

ken

• Nscherf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Ken, no it is not growing out of a pot the ring around it is a barrier that my Grandma put there to keep the weeds out but some grass seeds make it through it though. Lol, my grandma also put the rope there to try and get it to grow straight. It was producing some fruit last year about a month or two before I took the pictures, but a tornado was around the area so the winds were very high and caused all the apricots to fall. How long can Apricot trees live?