Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjmm1

pseudonomas syringae???

kjmm1
9 years ago

Different tree from my last post. This one shows now white spots or dieback. This one arrived from the seller this way. Black spots. I thought they were bruises from shipping or something like that but they never healed or went away after 10 months. What is it? Should I treat it? Could it spread to other plants? This tree is A 3 GAL in a pot near the other two specimen sized trees (in the ground). Kept in shade. Again it arrived this way. Not sure if it was this bad before but they are definitely not localized to just the topz or a side of the branches. Should I get rid of the tree?

Comments (13)

• kjmm1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Whole tree

• kjmm1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up

• kjmm1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more

• kjmm1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any thoughts on this one, anyone? I ordered python 35 and it arrived today. I was going to spray it this weekend. So now that I have read about it copper is a preventative not a cure. Soi s this tree here too far gone? Lots of black spots. I dont think its sunscald. Looks nothing like my other sunscalded trees. No dieback. Healthy buds. Leaves didnt have spots when it was in leaf. but these spots just dont look right to me.

Would it be a bad idea to spray my trees (all of them) as a preventative?

• arktrees
    9 years ago

I would probable trash it now. Keeping it close to others will spread the bacteria. The susceptibility varies with the cultivar, so while it may not cause a problem, the more exposure the more likely to have a problem. You probable need to drop doing business with that seller as well. And please report your issues on Gar-den W-atch D-og (take the dashes out and Google search it, GW will block it if I try to link it)

Lastly, in this case, IMHO preventive spraying with the copper compound is warranted.

Arktrees

• kjmm1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! Bummer... this is a Peaches and Cream. Is that cultivar particularly susceptible? I had already moved it away to the other side of my house, to right next to my trash can about ready to toss it. But now I'm worried that in moving it over there it could have spread to my other plants that are near THAT area! It's only been there for a few days. And we did have some rain in that time. Is it possible that I could have spread it by then?

In that same shipment, there was also a Grandma Ghost, Tiger Rose, Olsen's Strawberry, First Ghost, all 3 GAL's and Amber Ghost in a 1 GAL. Are any those susceptible? I think I might have seen spots like this on the Tiger Rose, cannot recall if I saw anything on the others but I am going to check today when I get home and post pics. Is it worth contacting the seller about this 10 months later? It was not an inexpensive order.

Man, I feel terrible about not thinking more of it sooner. I hope I didn't infect my specimen sizes plants. I will talk about that in my other thread.

This post was edited by KJMM on Tue, Jan 6, 15 at 13:00

• arktrees
    9 years ago

I can not tell you which are more susceptible. Probable need to go to specific Japanese Maple forums like UBC forums for that kind of info. But also understand that this species of bacteria is ubiquitous, It is everywhere. But strains may specialize to as well. All this is to say, there is no way to know for certain, but reducing exposure is not a bad thing. Go ahead and treat as you indicated earlier, and just keep a watchful eye.

Arktrees

• kjmm1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Got it. Looks like I've got some spraying to do! I'm try not to freak out so much.

Btw, and sorry if this is a silly question, but, do I need to wear a hazmat suit to spray copper?

I already have face shield and respirator, and the biggest tree I need to spray is 15 feet tall. I was reading the instructions and it seems like I really need to protect myself from this stuff! So do I need to buy a hazmat suit?

• arktrees
    9 years ago

No worries with copper. Even "organic" farmers are allowed to use a certain amount of some copper compounds, or at least use to be allowed to use it (I don't know now). Most copper compounds take ALLOT to be very toxic to most animals. Just wash up when your done, clean up any spills, wash off any skin contact quickly, keep it out of water (i.e. standing or running), and don't use more than you need.

Arktrees

• arktrees
    9 years ago

I didn't make it clear, but I would treat anything but your Japanese Maples. Unlikely you need to be concerned about anything else.

Arktrees

• kjmm1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Why should I not treat the japanese maples???

• arktrees
    9 years ago

"I would *NOT* treat anything but your Japanese Maples."

Sorry,
    Arktrees

• kjmm1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah, ok thanks!!!!!!!!!!

So it is not likely that other species need to to be sprayed for preventative reasons?

I have cherry trees, peach trees, and an Ash that was going to include in the preventative spraying.

The ash tree is another story all together. I've been suspecting for some time that it might have something. Leaves had spots ever since it arrived (it was the first tree I got when I bought the house and I just wanted a huge shade tree so I bought it sight unseen from a nursery that would deliver and plant for free), but I thought it was just leaf burn from our heat or transplant stress. Well, the heat is gone and the burned leaves fell, and but some leaves, even young ones, still have spots. So I thought I'd go ahead and spray it too. Good idea/bad idea?

This post was edited by KJMM on Wed, Jan 7, 15 at 16:29