Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone use rootwell product ?

Posted by clbravo z8 LA (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 17, 08 at 20:20

A local grower recommended this product which recently got picked up by rainbird. It is a conical shaped device 18 inches to 36 inches long, perforated that ideally put in at time of planting a new tree. It is suppose to provide supperior access to roots for oxygen, water and nutrients. I just bought 35 trees to be planted and am interested in insuring my investment with this product.

Clint

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone use rootwell product ?

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 19, 08 at 3:02

Not familiar with this product but first glance leaves me wary. Animation makes it look like a sort of air-pruning pot stuck in the ground in its effects. Without investigating further am left wondering are the trees expected to root through the well, into the normal conditions on the other side? What happens then?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rootwell

o

bboy,

You are suppose to space 3 perforated tubes around the newly planted tree. I think the roots would grow between and around each one which are to be permanent. Rainbird picked this product up and installed bubblers in each, which for me isn't practical on acreage. Also, Rainbird is pricing too high for mass planting. I think that Rootwell might not be operating anymore since I tried to order and doesn't have payment information. The fax is another business and e-mail bounced. Too bad, got me all interested and now they aren't around.

Clint

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 19, 08 at 15:11

Animation showing roots going deep was first red flag. Roots fan out through the soil, watering (or fertilizing) in columns doesn't allow for where roots are. Should be better to lay out bubblers and water the soil surface, without "wells".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here